Itinerary for fall trip to New England states

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents and I are planning our first trip to the New England states to see the fall foliage and need help planning our trip. We are looking for suggestions on places to go, places to stay, etc. We will fly into Boston or Providence and drive the rest of the trip. Any itinerary suggestions? Because this is our first trip we want to see the must-see hilights. My dad loves hiking and my mom loves antiquing. I would love to see the whales. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:04 AM
bm

Vermont fits the bill (except for whales of course)..lots of hiking and antiquing. Keep in mind however, that fall is the most popular time to visit here, and the popular lodging establishments will probably already be booked! Don't worry though, you'll find something...just don't wait until the last minute. From Vermont you could drive across Northern NH and into Maine, or drive the length of NH into Northeastern Massachusetts, and head to Cape Ann (Gloucester area) where you can take a whale watching trip.
When in the fall will you be coming? How many days? A little more would help us fodorites suggest a more detailed itinerary for you.
Also, I would consider looking into Manchester NH (MHT) airport over Providence if you think you'll be spending time in Northern New England.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

BM, thanks for your reply. We will be going the first 2 weeks in October for between 12 to 14 days.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Vermont is nice but the majestic White Mountains of New Hampshire are the epitome of the foliage viewing. Consider staying at a nice B&B in Vermont, or at the Von Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe. Take Route #112 from Bath, NH to Woodstock. You'll pass by the westernmost White Mountain, Mount Moosilauke, in Benton New Hampshire; my favorite mountain. Plenty of nice places to stay in the Woodstock/Lincoln area. The next day head out on the Kancamagus Highway then go south on Route #16. You'll soon come to the seacoast and there are plenty of whale watching boats going out of New Hampshire or Northern Massachusetts. Route #4 in New Hampshire is known as "Antique Alley". Be certain to hit some of the good seafood restaurants. Yes book something soon as I would say the weekend BEFORE Columbus Day is real nice in the Whites. Less traffic and the colors are peak; not past.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 11:47 AM

For the prettiest foliage, you should head as far north as you care to drive, then go south and west, for the best timing.

Here is an excellent resource for planning a driving trip http://www.yankeemagazine.com/foliage/
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 11:48 AM

I agree with bm...fly into MHT, NOT BOS! Southwest comes rightthere and has great rates.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:04 PM

I apologize if this is taking over the thread but I am planning to go to VT in October and was wondering how to find out about any fall festivals going on? I will be there Oct 7-10th. Thanks!