Itinerary advice Washington/Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Semi-finalizing plans for trip to the Northwest. Our goal is scenery, nature and R & R.
Following is our current itinerary for a week’s stay. Having never been to that part of the country, I would appreciate any input/recommendations that could be offered.
Day 1 – Arrive in Seattle and drive to Vancouver (can’t pass it up being this close).
Day 2 – See the sights in Vancouver.
Day 3 – Drive to Victoria and ferry back to Washington. Still deciding on
accommodations in park (Rain Forest Village, Kalaloch Lodge, Olympic Suites
Inn or Lake Quinault Lodge). Any recommendations?
Day 4 – Drive to Astoria via Scenic Byway and stay at Red Lion. We are not real fans of
old Victorian B & B’s and that seems to be all that is there. Would prefer to
NOT stay at a hotel, but rather a B & B, cabin or condo.
Day 5 – Tour Astoria and drive to Newport late afternoon. Stay at one of three condos
found on VRBO.
Day 6 – Relax in Newport
Day 7 – Scenic route back to Seattle airport hotel
Day 8 – Early flight out
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM

Any chance you can fly back out of Portland? That would save you a few hours drive back. And the only practical ways to drive between Newport and Seattle are 101 (which you would already have driven) and I-5, which is fast but boring. I know there may be a fee for a one-way car rental drop in Portland, but you'd also save a few bucks in gas not driving back to Seattle and have a few extra hours to relax in Portland, even stay near downtown (which is closer to the Portland airport than downtown Seattlee is to Seatac airport).

And if you are into nature, it's a shame you would be SO CLOSE to the amazing Columbia River Gorge (waterfalls, etc.) about a half hour east of Portland. In fact, I'd try to do that on the way back from Newport, then stay in or near Portland instead of going all the way back to Seattle that last day.

Seattle is a great city - I think it's a shame you are bypassing it in favor of Vancouver - another great city - but you are starting OUT in Seattle). I'd probably spend the first n ight in Seattle, ferry over to Victoria from there, then continue on from there. You could potentially not even have a car in Washington or Victoria and pick one up in Port Angeles (no, I don't know what that might cost, yeah it might not be practical).

In Oregon, consider staying in Cannon Beach instead of Astoria. The Red Lion (never stayed there but I know the location well) is not in a particular quaint area of Astoria - which is a neat little town, but if I were taking guests around Oregon from out of town, I'd at most stop for a few and check it out, then stay over in Cannon Beach, which has breathtaking scenery, great beach walks at night or in the morning, etc. In Astoria (not a beach town), there's little of that.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 11:06 AM

Day 3 is going to be a super long day with 2 ferries plus whatever time you spend in Victoria...so it would be easiest to stay somewhere close to Port Angeles rather than driving another hour or two. I'd recommend the Lake Crescent Lodge.

I agree with the PP to consider Cannon Beach rather than Astoria. I like the small Cannon Beach Hotel--it's more like a small European inn than a hotel.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 11:13 AM

>>Day 3 – Drive to Victoria and ferry back to Washington.anything you'll find in Astoria.

And like Andrew, I'm wondering why you're skipping Seattle (unless you've already been there). When are you doing this trip?
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM

goofy trip
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM

You're missing the mountains. When are you coming? Depending on time of year, you should add them to your itinerary. Your plan has a lot of driving! Usually, in a week, I'd suggest people focus a bit more, either northern loop including Olympic Nat Park, or southern loop with Oregon coast and Mt. Rainier.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM

When are you coming? You will be seeing things, but not truly experiencing them. I would pick Seattle area or Portlandd area and do just one of them. We stayed 10 days in Oregon this past July and didn't even begin to do everything we wanted to do. Olympic is one of those National Parks that really require more than a day. There is just so many things to it. I would think you would want to see Hurricane Ridge, The beach, and the rainforests. Half a day at each would be a bare minimum.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM

"goofy trip"

Indeed. If you want to see Washington and Oregon in seven days, you will have to be quick and skip Vancouver and Victoria, which aren't in WA or OR.

In seven days, Washington highlights are Seattle, Mt. Rainier, and Olympic National Park and Oregon highlights are Portland, the Columbia River Gorge, and the Oregon Coast.

On the Oregon Coast, we prefer to stay in Cannon Beach and/or Yachats rather than Astoria.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM

Not to knock Astoria - it's a neat town, really. I enjoy its retro feel and of course, its bridge. I always visit the Danish Maid Bakery in downtown Astoria whenever I go through, because it reminds me of the little bakery in the town where I grew up. But Astoria's just not a place I'd want to overnight, especially as a first-time visitor to Oregon.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM

I meant to inquire. You say from Lake Quinault you will "Drive to Astoria via Scenic Byway." Where is it? Highway 101 south from Lake Quinault is quite a tedious drive until you get past Raymond and catch sight of Willapa Bay.

Also, from Newport, what is the scenic route you plan to take to SeaTac airport? For the past several decades I have been looking for a scenic route for this trip and haven't found it except for the stretch of 101 between Newport and Raymond.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM

Personally for me I would spend 3 days at Olympic NP-stay a night in a different lodge each night. Do some hiking, soak in a natural hot spring, go tide-pooling at low tide, walk among 1,2, or 3 Rainforest areas, see huricane ridge, go onseveral hikes, canoe or kayak across a lake, have dinner at some of the lodges. The same could be said for Rainier or North Cascades NP's(you could easily spend 2 or 3 days at each of these places). Then spend the other 4 days in Seatle, Victoria, or San Jaun Island. Stick to this and you will see plenty and have far more R&R than driving in your car for half of your time there. You will have killer scenary and nature.

Another option would be to explore Portland, Columbia Gorge, Mount Hood, Mount St. Helens and then Cannon Beach and Oregon Coast.

Either trip would give you a dose of city and then the great surrounding that both places have to offer.

I love the historic lodges. We stayed at Timberline Lodge at Mount Hood this past summer and it was great. There are two more lodges that are "in the park" that you don't mention for Olympic.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM

Looks to me like lots of driving by/through places without time to stop and enjoy them. Your travel times on 101 are unrealistic. One day in Vancouver is not nearly enough, and as others have noted, driving to Victoria just ain't gonna happen. Pare your list down and save some locations for a future trip.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:03 PM

One week for August trip, in and out of Seatac Airport. Arrive: Mt. Rainier, 2 nights, Seattle 2 nights (downtown), San Juan Islands 3 nights. Seattle 1 night (Alki). Done.

Or Seattle 2 nights, Olympic National Park 5 nights (Hurricane Ridge, Hoh Rain Forest, Beach, Lake Crescent, maybe Port Townsend), Seattle one night. Done.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You have a *LOT* of distance driving, necessary ferries, time on the road crammed into a one week trip. I also would suggest skipping Canada altogether, so you'll actually have some time to see parts of Wash/Oregon.