Is Williamsburg a day trip from DC??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're traveling to DC in two weeks for a family Spring Break trip...planning to stay in DC for 7 nights. Our day trips outside the city will be Mt. Vernon one day, Gettysburg another day. Is Williamburg a day trip from DC...or is too far to do well in one day?? Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:55 AM

It's roughly a 3.5 hr drive. You make the call.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:55 AM

I live here (Northern Virginia) and my brother lives in Williamsburg and I personally think it's too far for a day trip; the drive, assuming no traffic problems, is close to 3 hours. The most direct route is 95 South to Rt. 295 (around Richmond) to Rt. 64 East. A prettier drive is to take Rt. 17 South at Fredericksburg; takes a little longer. Depends on the ages of the kids and their stamina but it's basically 6 hours of car time! We're not having very spring like weather at the moment so be prepared. Having said all this, Williamsburg is wonderful & we take our kids there fairly regularly.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:11 AM

The previous posters have probably helped you to realize it's definitely not a day trip given the travel distance, but I think it's worth mentioning that a trip to Williamsburg is a destination in and of itself. You need a COMPLETE day there (bare minimum) to appreciate all that it offers.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:07 PM

Here's another voice for "NOT a day trip". I've been going to Colonial Williamsburg maybe 5 times a year, ~2 days each time, for about 6 years. I still learn new things each time, the programs change. I would never advise anyone to spend less than one full day there, and would recommend at least 2 full days.

I see you're considering Gettysburg - an interest in military history? How about Manassas or Fredericksburg? Both a LOT closer to DC.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in Williamsburg and frequently travel to DC for business and pleasure. I often have to do the trip up and back in a day and it can be grueling (even without traffic problems on I95). FYI, it's really more of a 2.5-3 hour trip to Virginia/downtown DC destinations. Add time if you're staying in Maryland.

Besides, there is SO much to do in the DC area, you'll have no trouble filling your dance card with activities.

March, April and May are beautiful months to enjoy Williamsburg but you do need at least an overnight to appreciate it.

Hope you have a SNOW free trip!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:54 AM

No to Williamsburg, it is too far for just one day. Definitely do Fredricksburg, there is history and shoppng for the ones who aren't too into history. Be prepared for the traffic around here, it is HORRIBLE !!

Also, maybe look into Harper's Ferry, WV. Not too far away.....