Reload this Page >

Is White Barn Inn really worth the tab?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 01:26 PM
June

We are staying in November for 2 nights. We are staying in May's Annex--jr. suite. It is costing 610.00 per night including dinner one night. Is it really worth it? I will have to make double strong martinis before I spring this one on my husband. Anybody out there stay/dine here? Thanks!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 04:22 PM
jill

Tell him the price, if he gawks tell him you'll switch to a regular room and save $200. He'll go for it.

It'll be one of the best meals you've ever had or will ever have.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Donna

From the rate, I'm guessing it's a weekend package. Last I checked, the included dinner cannot be Saturday night, so if you're driving to the inn on Friday night, you may want to reconsider. I, personally, never find those packages to be a good value. If you want to sleep later than breakfast, or are out and about and don't want to rush back for afternoon tea, you've lost some of the value. If you have to plan all your time around their breakfast and afternoon tea hours, that's okay if you just want to enjoy your room (and its ammenities in between). You're the only one that can decide whether the suite with jacuzzi and fireplace are worth the premium. The garden rooms also have fireplaces and jacuzzi's for lots less. If they've told you those are the only rooms available for your dates, check again. Those seasonal places tend to try to sell you their packages and their most expensive rooms first. More than once, I've been informed that I was booking the only room left, only to be greeted by a "Vacancy" sign and half full parking lot upon arrival. Keep in mind,too, that the rate does not inlude taxes on the room AND taxes and automatic gratuity on the meal portion.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 05:25 PM
XXX

Wow WOW double wow

Is there any bed and breakfast and dinner that is really worth that much money????

Tell you what write a synopsis of your stay and post it for the rest of us to enjoy.

$610 doesn't include tax probably doesn't include a martini.....

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Charles

My first thought about this post was --
Why are you asking if it is worth it if you have already decided to stay there?

That said, $1200 for 2 nights lodging for 2 including dinner for 2 (once) not including tips/taxes seems like an extreme ripoff anywhere in the state of Maine, especially in the off-season.

I, too, would like to read the follow-up review when you return.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Anon

Just another case here at Fodor's of people criticizing those who choose to spend some of their hard earned $$$ on a nice travel experience.

What is with you people?

Would you walk up to someone sitting in their Ferrari and criticize them for wasting money?? What's it to you??

And if you'll expand your horizons a little you'll see that there are many, many nice places to stay which cost a lot more than $600 per night. So what?

Why does this cause people to react so inappropriately?

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Sue

The White Barn inn restaurant is the best. It is expensive but well worth it for a special dinner you won't forget.
Go for it and enjoy.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Brad

Ok then, anon, since there are "many, many nice places to stay which cost a lot more than $600 per night" then you will have no problem listing a few -- will you?

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Jack

I'll answer for anon.
The Lanesborough in London, Ritz in London, Four Seasons Georges in Paris, Hotel de Crillon Paris, Hotel du Cap on the Cote d'Azur, Villa San Michele in Florence, Villa d'Este in Cernobbio, La Sirenuse in Positano, Victoria Jungfrau in Interlaken, Hotel Bora Bora, Las Ventanas in Cabo, Four Seasons NYC, Four Seasons Chicago, Ocean Club in Bahamas, Cap Juluca Anguilla, Sandy Lane in Barbados are the ones I am personally familiar with. During low season rooms can be had at most of these places for less. High season rates and suites at all of them are $500-1500 per night.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Brad

anon/Jack - we're taking Maine here -- thought that was understood.

Now, your revised list please.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Me2

You could always stay elsewhere and just go to dinner there; appx $250 per couple. It is a wonderful dinner. But I don't think I'd want to stay there since there is no ocean view.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 06:03 AM
XXX

Forgive me but I DIDN'T ask June about the White Barn Inn and it's price. SHE asked everyone on the board. Most of us were shocked or surprised at a bed & breakfast in Maine charging that kind of money. As Jack pointed out many HOTELS in exotic places charge those rates but this is not an exotic place and she ASKED our opinion. NO, I would never walk up to a expensive car owner and criticize his choice but if he asked my opinion I would probably give it "It's very nice. If he then asked if I would buy one, then I would say, "I would probably buy something less expensive."

When you brag of what you're doing and then ask for opinions on how you're spending it, you open a new forum. So if you don't want to hear it - THEN DON'T ASK!!!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Jim

The White Barn Inn is not a B&B.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Jack

XXX is very confused.
1) The White Barn In is not a B&B.
2) June was asking whether a particular junior suite, along with dinner, is "worth it".
3)One can stay at the WBI for much lower rates in their standard rooms, and of course one need not eat dinner there. Alternatively, one could simply eat a nice dinner there and stay elsewhere. The place is not renowned for its rooms, but for its food.
4) the restaurant at the WBI has been a AAA 5 Diamond winner for 10 years running. It's not just some podunk greasy spoon in the backwoods.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Jim

Jack has a point. The White Barn is noted for its restaurant; stay somewhere else (The Ocean View would be nice) and go just for dinner.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 02:40 PM
savvy

Okay, I've seen the white Barn Inn. No way is one night there worth $ 610/night! The Ville d'Este and many of the other lodgings Jack mentioned, is in a whole different league. No contest.

The food is supposed to be exceptional, but I would chose lodgings elsewhere. Remember, May is shoulder season, so you stand a good chance of very iffy weather. For that rate, at that time of year, I would go to the Point in the Adirondacks.

The White Barn is certainly no "podunk, greasy spoon in the backwoods", but neither is it worth $610/night, in my opinion. I would feel taken.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Alan

Actually, savvy traveller, you couldn't stay at The Point for $610, especially if you wanted to eat there.

The cheapest rooms on property are $950.

Apparently Jack has missed out on The Point, and Twin Farms in VT, which are the US's top rated small inns.

Rooms at Twin Farms start at over $1000, but do include food.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Linda

This price list does seem steep. If their "per person" rate were "per room" instead it would be more realistic.

http://www.whitebarninn.com/seasonalrates.html

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:24 AM
theresnoplace

Your kidding! Now that I've seen the website, AND have seen the outside of the White Barn inn (no spectacular location there, I can assure you)I'd have a hard time paying that much for a room that isn't as nice as my room at home!

There are more expensive places, and even those that cost the same, but they are usually the type of places that you would walk in and say "wow", when staying there. No "wow" factor at the White Barn Inn. More of a "yes, this is a very nice Inn", kind of a reaction.