Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there stuff to do within walking distance of Cannery Row in Monterey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning several days in mid-May in the Monterey/Carmel area. I was thinking about Carmel, but apparently (from replies to a previous post) you can't have ocean views and be within walking distance of shopping and activities there. Is the situation the same in Monterey? Cannery Row looks nice, but can you walk to nice shops, restaurants, etc. from there? Any suggestions for lodging? I'm looking at Montery Plaza or Spindrift Inn.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:27 AM

We stayed at the Monterey Plaza a few years ago and really enjoyed it. We were on the water - which I highly recommend - and though we're not shoppers, the hotel is within walking distance of the aquarium and several good restaurants.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Definitely the Plaza over the Spindrift. Check out the website for the Plaza. If you like excellent steaks, the Whaling Station is very good. We also love Schooner's Bistro for their fish and chips, located at the Plaza. ***kim***
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 03:04 PM

You can get ocean views in Carmel from La Playa and the Pine Inn that I know of. (I used to live nearby so I haven't personally stayed at to many properties in the area... but I have a t these. In fact, the Pine Inn is the best location... even has its own parking lot!
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 04:04 PM

The Monterey Aquarium is also in that part of town.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Cannery Row is also fairly close to Fisherman's Wharf and the historic park - I think it's about a mile, maybe less.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 08:12 AM

You can get bay view windows at the Plaza which I would take over the SPindrift. There is a free shuttle running along the street from the Plaza to the wharf and I think to the aquarium. It should be running in May. It's called the wave. The walking along the "path" is lovely snd you will get many opportunities to gaze at the Bay and it's wildlife.
In Carmel you will simply need to walk a bit more but the ocean is reachable. Monterey and Carmel have very different feels.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 09:14 AM
E

The shops along Cannery Row are all of the fudge-and-t-shirts variety; the restaurants, with a few exceptions, aren't much better. That said, the Aquarium, which is great, is at the end of Cannery Row, and as PamSF pointed out, you can walk several miles along a manicured path that runs from Fisherman's Wharf past Cannery Row and all the way to through Pacific Grove to Asilomar--tidepooling, otters, great views, etc, it's really nice. And you can walk inland a few blocks in Monterey and PG for lots more restaurant choices.

Carmel has much more upscale shops and restaurants (and more of them--it's a large shopping area), and the only smooth white sand beach with calm water along that part of the coast, but that beach is at the end of town (put another way, the town forms the long leg of a "T", the beach is the crossbar), so views from one's hotel can't be had in Carmel proper. (That beach is also usually quite crowded, and it's a dog beach.)

So it's a toss up! If walking distance to good shops and restaurants is a priority, I'd stay in Carmel and plan to spend plenty of quality time in Monterey...good luck!