Reload this Page >

Is the Canyons Resort that bad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Tim

I've been reading some reviews of The Canyons resort on other sites and they haven't been that good. I'm bringing my wife and 9 year old daughter (beginners-intermediates) out West and was thinking of the Canyons. I'd like someplace with a village at the base. I also looked into Beaver Creek, but it was about twice the price.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Barbara

Assuming you mean The Canyons ski resort in Park City, Utah, I love the place. They have brand new beautiful condominiums at the base of the lifts, shops and restaurants. It's very close to Park City and everything it offers, including skiing different resorts if you want. Easy to fly into Salt Lake, perhaps only a 35 min. drive from the airport. I think they have great skiing as well. You'd have a great time.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:34 PM
lisa

The Canyons is new and quite nice. I don't think it has as many beginner-intermediate trails (if by that you mean greens and groomed blues) as Park City and Deer Valley.

However, both Park City and Deer Valley are close by -- a short drive. Why not stay in Park City and take the free town shuttle between the Park City Mountain Resort and Deer Valley? Then you can drive your rental car the 10 minutes or so to the Canyons when you want to ski there? It's the best of both worlds.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 02:53 PM
beverly

hello tim- i live here in park city so i can give you the scoop. my recommendation is park city mountain resort, if you are looking for a "base" area. althought the canyons has grown and will someday be awesome- larger than vail is planned, the base area isn't very extensive at this point. park city also has some wide open runs which are nice for beginners and intermediates. all three areas- deer valley included are on the same road and within a 5-10 mile stretch of each other. we took some beginners to the canyons last year and they were disappoionted. park city mtn resort also has main street which is really nice and has every kind of restaurant and shop you could think of. have fun!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Tim

Thanks everyone! I'm looking for a (reasonable) ski-in/ski-out hotel in a village, so I thought the Canyons would be an option. I'd prefer not to have to drive or ride. I do want to get to Park City someday though.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 10:53 AM
a

I have skied Deer Valley many times. Never crowded...and no snow boarding. I always see movie stars there. Only 5 minutes by suttle to all the accomodations in Park City.