Notices

Is the Ahwahnee stuffy??

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Dave

Is the Ahwahnee stuffy??

Taking my wife on a surprise trip, accoms are available at the Ahwahnee for the dates I'm interested in. Before I bite the bullet ($$$) I want to make sure that it will be nice. My wife and I are not the country club set but we're nice people, the last thing I want to do is get snobby attitude when I'm paying through the nose. Anyone have experiences/insight? Thank you.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Grasshopper

Not stuffy at all, but in my opinion overpriced for what you get. I think the amazing things about Yosemite are outside, not in. There are accommodations that are nearly as nice in Yosemite Village. The great things about the Ahwahnee are the common rooms and the restaurant. Anyone is free to use them.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Jerry

The price is high due to the desirability of the area and remote location (they have you cornered and they know it..."they" being the US government), not because the place is a blue blood country club type hangout. It's not that.
You won't see the trailer park crowd there due to the price, but it's not snobby.
On the other hand, don't go expecting high end luxury accommodations just because the price is high.
Again, it's the location you're paying for.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:48 AM
x

I agree with the previous two posts. Not stuffy, but not luxury by any standard either - mediocre rooms, bathrooms, service, main dining room is high point, but other eating is limited and not great. I, too, was very excited to get reservations at the Ahwahnee; and while Yosemite is about as nice as it gets, I was disappointed with the hotel. The Ahwahnee commands a high price because of its great location and because it's the only show in town. Frankly, I would stay at the hotel just outside the west entrance to the park (think it starts with a T?), which looks extremely nice. Although it's not on the floor of Yosemite, it's very near the giant sequoias.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 07:39 AM
t

Tenaya Lodge (800) 635-5807

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Tony

IMHO the Ahwahnee isn't stuffy, but it is classy. People dress as you would in any nice forest resort, although some do dress up a bit for dinner. The place is old (built in the 20s), which means that the rooms are similar to what was in fashion in those days. It is certainly not like a modern Hyatt or Westin. However, that is part of the charm of the place. The dining room is quite nice, but on the expensive side. If it wasn't it would be even more crowded given the number of visitors to the park. The grounds are lovely as are the view. Altogether it is a very comfortable, somewhat romantic place to stay.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:20 AM
x

It's only stuffy at the Bracebridge dinner when they don't open the windows and all those people are "stuffed" in together. tee hee.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:22 AM
q

To Tony, There are plenty of older hotels that have beautiful and truly charming rooms. The Ahwahnee is not one of them.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:30 AM
x

Here's dinner dress:

At dinner, gentlemen are respectfully requested to wear sport coats or dress sweaters and long pants. We ask ladies to wear skirts, dresses, pantsuits or pants that reach below the knee. Shorts and athletic wear may be worn at breakfast and lunch.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 12:58 PM
tops

Top.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Been there

q, you obviously haven't stayed at the Ahwahnee if you think the rooms are not charming.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:37 PM
q

Been there,
I have stayed at the Ahwahnee, and would not recommend it. Perhaps there are some "charming" rooms, but most of those that we saw (several) had horrendous lighting, poor carpeting, mediocre bedding, cramped bathrooms. It's fine for a motel price, but at $350+/night, you should get a little more. Not to mention that at 8:30 p.m. in the summer, our dining choices were nibbles at the bar or snack bar fare, complete with indifferent and inefficient servers (dining room was booked). Of course, the location is wonderful, and that's what you pay for, because there's no real competition. Just think Dave should know what he's getting. I believe the Tenaya Lodge would provide a nicer overall experience, for the same (or probably less) money.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:08 PM
xxx

q
Have you stayed at the Ahwahnee since it was recently refurbished. Also, the dining room is still open at 8:30 p.m. Tenaya may be nice, but it is still outside the park and particularly outside the valley. I've only been to the Ahwahnee twice, but would gladly stay there again anytime.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:30 PM
q

xxx,
We stayed at the Ahwahnee in Summer 2001, and the rooms did not look recently refurbished. Though the dining room was open at 8:30, as my post said, it was booked. I'm not sure that even refurbished rooms could compensate for the motel-type service and lack of amenities, particularly where the website describes the Ahwahnee as a hotel offering "luxury, elegance, and comfort." Comfort, yes; luxury and elegance - that's puffing, and borders on deceptive advertising!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Patrick

I stayed a couple of nights at the Ahwanee last summer. Much of what has been said about the rooms is true. They aren't overly spacious, and neither are the baths. They've all been redone and furnished rather nicely. But they are not luxurious by any standards, merely comfortable. Of course they are outrageously priced for what they are, but what is the competition? You are in Yosemite and if you want a nice place to stay that is it. Frankly, I think the rooms in the other lodging options there are far more overpriced than the Ahwanee -- not more expensive, but just more overpriced.
I am returning to Yosemite next summer and we've already booked the room. Yes, it is very expensive, but I can't think of a nicer place to stay there, and for me it will be worth it.

Regarding the restuarant -- it is one of the most spectacular dining rooms in the world, but frankly the food and the service are simply average. In fact we learned not to go too late for dinner, because we were annoyed by the incredible noise of a dozen people resetting all the tables for breakfast. I've never heard so much silver and glassware clanking in my life.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:11 AM
gail

I agree with the above posts. I just do not think the prices are worth the room or the food..would I go again, probably, the location can not be beat. I like the Tenaya, but it is not the same as watching the deer track through the snow while you eat (winter).No matter how much nicer Tenaya is in some ways it still seems to be an imitation of the Awahnee. You might look into the cottages at the Awahnee, they look much bigger and are situated right next to the hotel.