Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is smoking still allowed in Manhattan restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Ron

My wives relatives are coming to the USA and are going to spend a few days in NYC before flying to visit us. They have asked for restaurant recommendations within walking distance of Time Square. They smoke so I was going to select restaurants that have a smoking section. I haven't been to NYC in years and wasn't sure if they have tightened up on smoking regulations or do they all have a smoking section??? Thanks, Ron

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Statia

I haven't seen smoking in restaurants in Manhattan for years. Bars, or bars in restaurants, are another story though. That is...if my memory serves me correctly.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Ted

Restaurants with bar areas generally have a smoking section near/at the bar. Some restaurants do not allow diners to smoke at all, regardless of the presence of a bar. If smoking is a critical element of your friends' dining experience, then your best bet is to call ahead (and pre-pay your health insurance!).

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Ron

I should have added that this is NOT their criteria. Being Europeans they may assume all restaurants have smoking and non-smoking sections and I know this may not be the case. Just trying to accommodate them as they've always done us in Europe. They are quite well to do and generally dine in upscale restaurants on vacation. They will be visiting us after NYC in Las Vegas so the smoking section will not be an issue here. Thanks for you help. Like I mentioned, it's been many years since I was in NYC. Ron

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Statia

Yes, Ron, I agree. The dilemma of smoking vs. non-smoking is quite different in Vegas vs. Manhattan. Hope they enjoy their visit.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Elizabeth

There's a website called smoking-section.com which I think provides a guide to smoker-friendly places in Manhattan.

Some nice places have sections where people can smoke, or smoke and eat. Many don't. But unfortunately I don't know where to send them in the Times Square/theatre district area. \to soe extent it depends on the disposition of the owner and who the restaurant hopes to attract, to some extent on the layout of the place as the laws have to do with whether or not customers have to pass through the smoking area to get to their tables, or something like that.

All French people of a certain age think restrictions about smoking are crazy.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Rachel

And it's a wonder they've lived until that "certain age." No wonder so many cough and wheeze. When will Europe catch up to America and protect the lungs of the innocent from the unhealthy habit of the suicidal?

Oh, and by the way, I think Ruby Foo's in Times Square offers a smoking section, but you should call first to find out.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Jess

There is a relatively new law that bans smoking in places where food makes up over x% of the income. You won't fins smoking in any restaurants without a bar and only at the bar in other places. If you want to smoke while you eat, ask to eat at the bar, which is acceptable in most restaurants.