Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is sea sickness common during snorkel boat trips?

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:27 AM
sparklegem

Is it common to for people to get sea sick on snorkel trips? We are booked on the Four Winds II Molokini morning trip but my mother has backed out and now I am having second thoughts, too. Also, what medications are most effective with sea sickness?

Thank you,

Gem

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Mike

I do OK with Dramamine pills but I hear there is a patchy thing (not for nicotene) that many people prefer. Some get drousy with Dramamine but it doesn't really affect me that way.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Molly

I did get seasick one time {out of several} while actually snorkling in Hawaii. I was fine on the boat trip to and from. However, I had not taken any anti-seasickness precautions. I think that you will do fine if you take a no-drowsiness, anti-motionsickness remedy.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 07:56 AM
SueOz

My husband uses one bonine in the morning - lasts all day - works great for him. He had trouble with the patch.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 07:57 AM
xxx

I don't know how common it is, but it has happened to me twice. Each time, the water was calm. Dramamine (the non-drowsy formula) has helped.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Deb

Yes, the boats will list and you will get seasick if you are prone to motion sickness. Take a motion sickness pill early in the day (long before the boat sails off). Do NOT use the patch if you've never used it - it could make you even sicker. Eat food early as the exercise will wear you down and may cause motion sickness to kick in early. Drink plenty of water to offset dehydration.

You'll be fine - good luck!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:51 AM
sherrie

Took at snorkeling tour with Trilogy and did not get sick (and I am not a boat person). However, there were severla people who had some sort of bracelet on with what looked like a magnet or some sort of metal round "thing" on the braclet. They said it was for motion sickness. I don't really know what it was but maybe someone out there will. By the way, the people wearing the braclet seemed to be fine.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Naneki

I went snorkelling twice last year in Hawaii and while I didn't get seasick while snorkelling, I got violently sick on the boat ride on a catamaran but on another trip I was on a zodiac and had no problems at all. I'd been on a zodiac once before and didn't have problems then either. But have had problems on catamarans and even on a cruise ship.

If you're unsure about your seasickness tolerance, it might be a good idea to take a non-drowsy medication. I tried the patch on the cruise but found it caused my vision to distort and gave me a dry mouth. A doctor who shared my dinner table said those are the common side effects of the patch.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:44 PM
sue

Take Dramamine non drowsy the night before and then again in the morning. This works great!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Paula

Why take the chance? Take Bonine, Triptone, or Dramamine and you won't have to worry about it!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Polly

I used that patch once and I must have touched the patch at some time and then later touched my eyes because my vision went beserk. It was awful. I'm wondering if the bracelets you're talking about are those "accupressure" type things. I tried that when I was pregnant with no luck, but maybe that was me. I get motion sickness so easily and I'd dry dramamine or Bonine.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 03:48 AM
scott

I went on a scuba/snorkeling trip once in Australia on catamaran looking boat that was supposed to cut the waves.... I never watched sooo many people get sick in my whole life, the crew could not pass the bags around fast enough. I was fine, except the smell, and the noise. I didn't take anything, but I probably will the next time I go on just in case.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:58 AM
xxx

Sea sickness is caused from equilibrium doing one thing and your eyes seeing another. Make sure you stay on deck (DO NOT go below deck), face forward, and keep your eyes on the horizon. After about 30 minutes you adjust and will be fine.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 05:02 PM
ddd

BONINE!!