Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is scalping (buying) Red Sox Tickets legal??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like everyone else, I'm looking for some Red Sox tickets for an Aug. Tampa game. I'm aware of sites like Stub Hub, Craigs list etc. but am wondering about the possibility for buying tickets outside the stadium.
Is it legal, how much or a counterfeit ticket problem is there and are there any suggested areas, certain streets, subway stations etc that might provide the best results?? Any insider tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:40 AM

it's not legal to sell tickets over face value in Massachusetts. However, the cops generally do look the other way. there are lots of scalpers hanging out outside the stadium, usually right around the Kenmore square T stop. Also, there are a few who hang in the big parkinglot near the Yawkey Way commuter rail station.

I think counterfeit tickets are a moderate problem. Not sure how bad it is, but it does happen.

you should check online from time to time. the Sox do release tickets, usually right before the series starts. Also, if you don't mind scatter singles, I'm pretty sure there are tix available for that Tampa series (I checked a couple of days ago).

Finally, they also offer a limited number of "day of game" ticket sales. But I think that involves a lot of waiting in line.

One thing to note... one of those Tampa games is likely to be Jon Lester's first Fenway start since becoming cancer-free. That game is likely to have very high priced scalping, and low availablity. it will be a big deal for Sox fans.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:51 AM

We've bought tickets just outside Fenway many times, though not recently. It helps to have the printed seating chart in your pocket. And, if you wait until the game gets underway, prices go way down. We've never had a problem with counterfeit tickets. I hate buying tickets from scalpers, and usually don't do it - but for the Red Sox...
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM

It's not illegal to buy them at face value or under.

There are plenty of scalpers outside Fenway, if you take the T, there are even scalpers in the Kenmore T stop, you won't have trouble finding them.

But since you want to go to a Tampa Bay game, keep checking redsox.com for tickets. You could also try getting to the ticket booth an hour or so before the game, that's when they release the standing room only tickets. Good luck.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:56 AM

the Globe has an article on scalping aroudn Fenway, that might interest you.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ars_to_change/