Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is SAT required for admission in 12th grade of high school?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:17 AM
MSA
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently did my olevels in 11th grade in Pakistan and due US immigration have moved to Newyork, NY, USA. My age currently is 16 and I want to do 12th grade of high school here so that I would not have to do the foundation and acclimatize to this system easily. But I yet have not done SAT and am confused that is it or not required for admission in a high school here in US.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
SAT is an exam that is taken during high school and used to help qualify for university admission.

No need/relevance for attending high school.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:38 AM

What janisj said, plus, I urge you to reach out to the public school district where you live. They will help you figure things out. Good luck!
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:42 AM
MSA
Original Poster

Can I join high school now in 12th grade?
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Probably.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll be assigned to a grade based on the level of education you've completed previously. It might be 12th grade or, given your age, 11th. Determine which school and apply or register. The school will make the decision on your grade level.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:50 AM
J62

As newbe stated, you need to contact the local public school where you live. Only they can tell you what grade level you would be able to join.

In NY the school year runs from early September through mid to late June, so your peers in NY are about 1/3 done with the 12th grade, also known as senior year in High School.

Most (nearly all) 12th graders are at a minimum 17 years old, and turn 18 before graduation so you are definitely on the younger side but that should not matter if you meet all the academic qualifications.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:54 AM
MSA
Original Poster

Can I get to know which of documents are required for gaining admission in highschool in Newyork ?
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Contact the school/school district and ask them.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 01:58 PM

http://schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnroll...ts/default.htm
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 04:56 PM

You are at the younger end of a high school senior - kids here usually graduate at 17, sometimes 18, depending on what time of year they are born. (NYC used to have a special program in which brighter kids with the best grades graduate at 16 - but it was done by combining grades 7 to 9 into 2 years. They had it hen I was there in the last ice age - but don't know if it still exists.)

And no, you take the SAT while in your senior year - but I think usually Oct - so you have results and can start applying to college in Jan.

If you are a legal resident you are entitled to attend high school in the district in which your family is living (if in the suburbs). If in NYC there are a number of special high schools and you need to investigate which you might attend based on your interests and grades.

To register you would need to have your transcript of grades and test results as well as proof of your family's residence (a copy of their lease or if they own a house a copy of the property taxes they pay).

Be aware they may give you a series of tests to decide where you should be placed - esp as regards a foreign language - not sure which you have taken. The usual there are Spanish and French, although the better schools offer more.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 04:12 AM
MSA
Original Poster

@nytraveler if I gain admission in the on going term in the 12th grade so I should be having the SAT score before coming January for further college admission ?
Moreover now a SAT without essay is also offered which one should I do?
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 05:13 AM

You really need to ask the school administrators these types of questions. The schools have "guidance counselors" who's primary job is to help students with getting into college. They will have all the answers.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 05:22 AM

You seem very concerned with the SATs. You can get old test copies on line and take them for practice. That might help you decide how to approach college. The ACT is another test that some colleges require.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 07:05 AM

You probably don't need to take the SAT or ACT at any time. If you try to attend college in the US, you may be able to use the TOEFL instead.

TOEFL is "Test Of English as a Foreign Language." Look into it.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 12:40 PM

?? TOEFL is to test English skills, it isn't a substitute for SAT or ACT tests which test more than language skills. They both test math, for one thing. I don't know of any college that requires the SAT or ACT that accepts the TOEFL for foreign students as the sole test.

It isn't clear to me if the OP is a legal resident or not, or if they have to get a student visa or what is going on, but you might consider going to community college first and later transferring to a 4 yr university. Because some community colleges don't require ACT or SAT scores, actually, and they can be easier to get into and cheaper. the CUNY community college system doesn't require ACT or SAT scores, as far as I know, for one place, and neither do they require them in any place I've lived or gone to school (and I did attend community college when living in Santa Monica, CA).
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 05:52 PM

What test you take when would be determined by which colleges you are trying to get into (based on your grades and test scores, costs - state schools are typically much cheaper for residents - major interests, location etc).

Be prepared that college is extremely expensive, but there are numerous scholarships, student loans and part-time work that can be used to help pay. But this is definitely a factor to be considered.

One important factor to be considered is not to take on too much in student loans that you will not be able to repay in a limited amount of time. I graduated with $8,000 in loans back in the lat ice age and this was almost as much as my annual salary and I had 8 years to repay - but did it in 6 since I was able to get promotions and raises quickly. But sometimes students take on way more in loans than they can realistically repay and end up in bankruptcy or living on a pittance to pay them off.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 06:57 AM

Before thinking about SATs, have you worked out all the other details? You can't just enter the US as a minor, show up at a school, and go to school. Where will you live. What will your immigration status be? And in most cases, the school to which you would go gets to decide where to place you - you can't just request 12th grade.

Are you the same person who posted some months ago looking to do this as an entree into a US college education?
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 08:17 AM

OP says, I think, she has just moved to New York, NY. She is a minor. She needs to contact her local school district office for pertinent information. She seems misinformed about what SATs are used for; they will straighten her out. Not well meaning folks on a travel forum.