Reload this Page >

Is renting a car in Miami a must?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:28 AM
S

I will be in Miami/Fort Lauderdale for three days and two nights mainly to relax by the beach. But I would also like to get a feel for what southern Florida has to offer besides beaches. Can one get around on foot or via public transportation or is renting a car essential?

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Native

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale are fairly big places - do yourself a favor and get a car.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Daniel Williams

S--

I brought a post from a few months ago about Miami public transportation to the top for you.

Have a great trip! DAN

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 08:34 PM
Jennifer

I was in Miami two years. I went around using public transport. Most public transport is located in downtown area. If you lives in South Beach, it's OK if you get around without a car.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:26 PM
Dan

I have lived in Miami my whole Life (25 Yrs) and have used public transportation about 4 or 5 times in my life. This is because the public transportation system in South Florida (in my opinion) is not as well developed as in other major metropolitan areas. I HIGHLY suggest that you rent a car - Nothing fancy- but get one!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:51 PM
rj

Don't even think about it--Just get a car! Especially since you will be in Fort Lauderdale and want to go to Miami.

But be careful. There's some crazy driving down there on 95.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:12 PM
Nicole

Get a car ESPECIALLY if you're trying to get from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. Yes you can take the Metrolink train but the trip on the Miami train and the people-mover will eat up alot of time and the train goes through some dodgy areas. Besides half the fun of South Beach is cruising slowly along Ocean Ave.!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:45 PM
Steve

I was lucky enough to get a Maxima at $25/day through Priceline. Orignally slated for a Mustang, but the trunk broke and I got an upgrade.

Yes, there are some wacky drivers on the 95. Drivers are nuts all over the US though.