Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is one week enough to tour NYC, DC and Seattle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my plan- 2 days in NYC, 2 days in DC and 2 days in Seattle. Maybe I'll throw in a day in Los Angeles.

Is 2 days enough for each city? I can skip Los Angeles. Just thought I'd throw that in since I have to catch an international flight from LAX after my 1 week vacation.

Views anyone? Can I fit in all these cities in a week?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Surely you're joking?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Nope, I'm not!

So you're saying it's impossible? Maybe leave out a city? What do you suggest?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:55 AM

Great idea - and welcome to Fodors, first poster. I suggest you drive between cities as well. Perhaps add in Fort Lauderdale as well.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
No
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:56 AM

It is possible to see some of each city in 2 days if that's what you want to do. Seattle is not a typical first time must see stop and it seems bizarre to give it as much time as the other 2, but you obviously have your reasons. Without knowing where you're coming from, who you are (age, interests etc.) it's difficult to advise you. Most people would spend a week in NYC or 5 days in NYC and 2 in Washington.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mclaurie. That was helpful.

I studied in Minnesota, graduated about two years ago and went back to my home country. I'm currently back in the States for work. So I'm trying to fit in this vacation in the 1 week I have before I have to fly back.

I've always wanted to go to these cities but have not had the chance to when I was in college, so I'm trying to fit in as much as I can now

I have friends in NYC and I'm meeting up with them. So since I have "tour guides" in NYC, I figured 2 days would be fine.

So with this extra info I've shared, you reckon 2 days in NYC, 2 days in DC and instead of 2 in Seattle, make it just a day?

Thanks for sharing your views, all!

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 03:22 AM

How about 4 days in NYC and 2 in LA? All the other flying around is really going to eat in to the little time you have. You'll lose most of a day going from east to west which you need to do at some stage. You'll probably get more out of a longer stay in less cities than quick flits to numerous cities.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 04:23 AM

I would second the option of skipping Seattle / DC this time and giving more time to NY and LA. You will be spending most of the week travelling and not seeing anything. Pretty much you would just have time to drive by sites, check them off that you have seen them and move on to the next one. Not a good trip. Even just doing NY and LA, you will be very rushed due to the cross-country flights. With only having 1 week, you may be better served doing LA and Seattle - 2 cities on the West Coast. Or just stick to California.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
dmlove

Where are you "back in the States" now? Of course, traveling from NY to LA or Seattle will take an entire day. Are you going back to where you are now to go home, or leaving from one of the cities you'll be visiting? IMHO, if you only have 1 week, I'd spend it on EITHER the east or west coast, but not both.

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM

If you have only 7 days I wouldn't spend 3 or 4 of them flying all over the country. Pick 2 places that are near each other and do them.

For NYC less that 4 days IMHO is too little - and you could spend 2.5 in DC - since the trip between is only half a day.

Or - you could do Seattle and LA.

But to fly all over, including coast to coast would make a trip of nothing but airports and train stations.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Right now I'm in Texas til end of next week and after that I have to work in Lousiana for 2 weeks. So I'll be flying out of New Orleans.

Thanks for all the advice. Traveling between east and west coast would take up a lot of my time. So I guess I will do just the east coast.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Since everyone else here assumes you are serious, I will defer to them and apologize for my snippy answer. But the answer is still no.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would stick to the east coast.

I live in Seattle and was born in Los Angeles, love 'em both for different reasons. But they don't fit in to your allowed time.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM

and never mind the possibilities of flight delays.....

I would fly to DC, spend 3 days there and then take the train to NYC and spend 3 days there before flying to LA.
But it would be easier to tell you where to split your days if you knew what interested you and what you wanted to see or not. Knowing that, one might advise instead 3 or 4 dys in Seattle/Bainbridge Ils and 3 days in LA, -

so hard to say not knowing: hiking, outdoors, mountains, old architecture, history, national monuments, world class museums, etc.....

why don't you look at the top things to do in each city on Fodors, maybe that will help you choose.

You may end up wanting the entire week in NYC

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
JJ5

I was going to say the same thing.

I would do one coast or the other and would, with my preferences, absolutely prefer D.C. & NYC. And I would give D.C. at least as much time, because I just love all the Smithsonians, Archives and surrounds there.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Seattle deserves a trip of its own. Your proposed trip looks like 90 percent travel and 10 percent sightseeing.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM

ITA on the one coast idea. Two coasts in one week sounds like way to much to me.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM

I agree with those that suggest the week in New York. I have been 4 times in 4 years and still haven't done and seen everything I want to. It is such an amazing city. A week sounds a long time but really it isn't and if you factor in travelling time from one coast to the other you are pretty much loosing a day in travel.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Good thing I decided to post this before I book my tickets! Thanks for your views, everyone! It'll be just NYC for me this time. NYC here I come!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -