Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it worth time-- time share presentation to get a great pkg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While this pertains to a deal I found on Hawaii Talk Board here for Maui, it really can apply to any of these deals, since they are so wide spread.

Embassy Suites is offering: room, car, hot breakfast buffet, free parking, and $100 for 6 days/5 nights in exchange for a 90 minute sales pitch. And the price is $749!! Their rooms go for over $250 a night without this offer. It is at Ka'anapali Beach Vacation Resort on the west side of Maui.

I have gone recently to 1 pitch like this [whcih didn't have any perks] that we were seriously considering and 1 long ago in Orlando to get Disney perks. IF you have gone to these kinds of things in more exotic locations like Hawaii, what is your take on it, insights and would you do it again??

As far as the hotel is concerned..has anyone stayed there recently? It supposedly was recently renovated. I have read reviews on other boards that seem positive for the hotel, just wanted some Fodorite's views.

Thanks for your input!
Deb
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Neopolitan

I hate these things, but there is no doubt it can be worth it. They count on a high percentage of sales and there is little doubt than many people go KNOWING they aren't going to buy, but end up coming home with the signed contract in hand anyway.

I'd go armed with a copy of your recently "filed" bankruptcy papers and tell them up front that this is a final blowout as your bankruptcy lawyer won't allow you to sign any contracts without him. That should keep them away from you.

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM

You go Neopolitan! As a consumer attorney for 20+ years, I have come across way too many folks who went into these presentations thinking they'll just take the freebie and listen to the presentation and walked away with a lousy contract for 20K plus, plus annual fees. For what you thought would be a cheap trip, you end up with a nightmare.

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Not to me - not if the trip were FREE!

I have stayed at the Embassy for full price and liked it very much but that was about 4 years ago.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:53 AM

I went to one of those a few years ago. When the time came to close the deal I asked, "so, can I bring my dogs? You allow children, you must allow dogs." The pressure to buy was off and I walked away with my free gift.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:58 AM

I agree with the above. Beware! They know how to sell. If you do go and buy one, be sure you know the rules re cancellation. I think you have three days in most places, and are allowed to change your mind during that time.

Several years ago, we went to a talk in Whistler with no intention of buying, but were sold on a summer week. We left pretty excited, as we had had a great vacation. But, as we drove home through the traffic of Vancouver we began to have second thoughts. We realized we didn't like going to the same place annually and found there was an additional fee for changing to a place in a different country. We did a lot of thinking, did the math and cancelled after a sleepless night.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 09:09 AM
ed

We went to one for the Marriot in Palm Desert.

We just put our brain in neutral and said um occasioally,

Didn't buy. He wasn'thappy. Oh well
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Neopolitan, in the fine print for these deals, it specifies your annual income must be something like $65K and you must be creditworthy. If you "declare" bankruptcy, it may backfire and you could be charged the full retail price (they do swipe a credit card at checkin for incidentals). Just finished reading a pitch for Hyatt Coconut Point timeshare...

If you do go, it might be best to do what ed said, and murmur your way through.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Um, no...you get what you pay for...or don't pay for, in this instance...
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
NO... Not me not ever no way not for anything will they get me into a timeshare presentation. I would not waste a minute yet alone precious hours of vacation time. That said, I don't want anything they are offering anyways.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Your time is worth something- esp on vacation and your sanity is worth more. I agree with the poster who said they wouldn;t do this even if the vacation were completely free.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Oh, I love part about the dogs...find out what they DON'T allow and then have that. If it's a Seniors community, say that you're about to get custody of your grandkids and is that okay?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:13 AM
iceeu2

Well, Debit, I'm way outnumbered here, but I think it's a great deal. And, you can keep the presentation to 90 minutes without any problem. We have been on may timeshare presentations and take their free gifts and go. We aren't unkind, but we are not obligated to purchase just because we got a fantastic deal.

A few years back, we went on a presentation at the Marriot's Kauai Beach Club. We were with the sales person for less than 45 minutes. Told her up front, we had somewhere to be, the stock market had us "financially embarrassed" at the moment (and that was true) and we just came to see what the view was like up top! She was anxious to get us moving and out of there as soon as she saw we had no money!!

Frequently, in the winter months we go to Gatlinburg....they will practically drag you in to t/s presentations...they are hungry there in January.....just this winter....we went to 2 presentations....$100 the first time and $125 the next.

What's 90 minutes out of your life. If you have no intention of buying, just keep looking at your watch and tell the salepeople...your time is up!

Also...go to timesharforums.com
and also to tugbbs.com/forums and ask your question. These are timeshare owners and you are sure to get some great advice and ways to bow out gracefully!

Aloha......have fun.....i'2

btw, where did you find this deal?

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM

I don't like them.

My brother does. He has no intention of ever buying a time share, but he and his wife have attended many presentations over the years and had many great deals on trips.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM

If you go - beware. There are not likely to be 2 people less interested in timeshares than my husband and me - we both think they are ripoffs, etc. But sitting thru these presentations on 2 occasions had us almost ready to whip out our checkbook - they are that persuasive - or maybe they drug the free coffee and food they always serve.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Remember that "6 days/5 nights" actually means 4 full days, 5 nights, unless you can check in very early and check out very late! So, it's more like $190/day.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 12:04 PM
iceeu2

sylvia...5 sleeps is 5 sleeps no matter how you calculate.....and that's also 10 breakfasts.

So...$749/5 is $149.80. If you check in at 2 pm or 10 pm....you still will get charged for the night! By the same token, if you check out at 6 a.m. or noon, they won't charge you more or less.

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Much of it depends on how these types of presentations effect you. The "hard sell" makes me feel anxious and upset for much more than the actual 90 minutes involved. (I am one of those people who hate confrontations anyway.) So, for me, it can ruin a whole day of my rare and precious vacation. Plus, even 90 minutes is worth a fortune to me - can't be bought back at the end, if you know what I mean. BUT, if you're one of those people that can shrug the whole thing off, then it may not be such a big deal. I would pay someone NOT to have to listen to this mess...LOL!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input..can't decide...hubby isn't sure. Me, I think it sounds pretty good.

iceeu2 --
There is a post on Hawaii about a mom going to HI for first time with her 2 daughters in May as a graduation trip. Someone who replied left this info. And I went to website and found it. 1 catch is that you have to reside in certain states to get this exact deal { I do}. If not, there was a similar one for $949. http://www.mauiembassy.com/minivac/s...M&Countries=US
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Without being real specific, I told the timeshare guy that I wasn't sure how much longer I had to live (It came to me on the spur of the moment), and therefore the future benefits may not be applicable to me. My wife got the strangest look on her face, but the presentation ended pretty quickly.

My wife and I still chuckle over the guy's reaction and we saved $400 on a weeks activites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -