Is it too late to make plans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stress level is almost at it's maximum here at my desk in Manhattan. Just put in for a couple of days vacation. Never been to South Beach. Buget is $1,500 for air/hotel. Only thing in my range left is the Abbey. Is it a good location? Any recommendations on stuff to do during the day. I'm open to all suggestions.
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:46 PM

The Abbey is a nice Deco-era hotel, off the beaten path (in the Collins Park area, a bit north of the Action in South Beach) in a residential/commercial part of the District. You're a couple of blocks from the beach, and the fun parts of South Beach are a short walk or cab ride away. I've never stayed there, but I've heard nothing but praise for it; being so far away from the Action, they make up for it in service. The restaurant at the Abbey is supposed to be pretty good as well.

If the weather is good, you'll have to do at least a couple of hours on the beach. A walking tour of the District and its famous architecture is a must (or a riding tour, if you can find a guide with a convertible). There is shopping down on Collins (boutiques in the area around, as I recall, 8th or 9th Streets) or up Collins (Bal Harbour Shops are north of South Beach-- very ritzy), but since you're in Manhattan, that won't be much of a thrill. A couple of hours in the afternoon to stroll up and down Lincoln Road, then to enjoy a drink on one of its outside patios, is fun. Bear in mind that, if you choose to Party Hard while you're there, you will be sleeping off your fun, the Day After the Night Before (as Nigella Lawson puts it).
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Can't help with the hotel but for airfare check jetblue.

Go to Vizcaya one day. It's an Italian Palazzo on Biscayne Bay not far from Coconut Grove. It's amazingly beautiful with enormous gardens. You won't believe you're in the US.

Old May 8th, 2003, 01:08 PM

If you can swing a bit more cash on the hotel, a nice, reasonably-priced place on Ocean Drive is the Winterhaven. It will put you closer to the Action, and it's a very nice property.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:36 AM
GoTravel

Have you looked at BiddingForTravel.com? Priceline has packages and I know people have been getting some great hotels cheap.