Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please Read..Dorset Hotel - SouthBeach 8/18/04

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need Help desperately as I've never been to Southbeach. Has anyone stayed at the Dorset, 1720 Collins Avenue? Travelling next week, they claim it's a newly renovated hotel which is a plus for me, clean bathrooms. Please, if you have any knowledge or advice on this or other hotels that are fairly new and definitely clean, help me out. Hopefully Charlie and Bonnie would have steered completely clear by then. Also what would one do in southbeach if it's rainy?
Thanks for all your help.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:57 AM
GoTravel

I hope the storms aren't going to hover over South Florida for six days. Considering they aren't supposed to hit Miami.

1720 Collins would be across the street from the beach. The odd numbered addresses are oceanfront. Normally that would not bother me but you can't really walk between hotels to get to the beach.

What kind of rate are you getting? The South Seas is across the street and is oceanfront and is normally very reasonable.

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:03 PM

As it's a new renovation, I doubt you'll get many reviews yet here-- there are two good reviews on tripadvisor.com, so I think you'll be fine. It's on the "wrong" side of Collins (across the street from big hotels and beyond them the beach), and that section of Collins used to be pretty gnarly, but it's being cleaned up and redeveloped. And, you're across the street from the Ritz-Carlton, so what the hey.

I just got back from South Beach, and had a wonderful stay at the Cardozo (Ocean at 13th)-- I got bumped up to an oceanview suite! Clean as a whistle, sexy décor, superb staff. I've heard great things from other Fodorites about the Clinton and the Blue Moon. What's your budget?

Oh, and on a rainy day you shop, hang out at clubs and drink (OK, *I* do that on rainy days in South Beach). In the summer, it may rain every day for an hour. You just roll with it.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info. I actually got a rate of $110/nt @ Dorset, so I was a little apprehensive. seems so cheap. But I figured since it was recently renovated it should be somewhat cool.

I have reservations at the Cardozo also so that's good to know. I have to cancel one by Saturday, so it's approaching crunch time.
I was hoping to be in the middle of it all, but still have some type of quiet time with my sweetie after partying all night. Are either of these hotels in a good location for that? thanks again for the info and keep em coming
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

forgot to include, $200/nt. is the max I want to spend. Will go higher if I have to.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM
GoTravel

Shoot, for that budget I'd go to hotwire and get the Loews. Much nicer than any listed here with the exception of rjw's oceanfront birthday suite.

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Go is right-- if you can get the Loews, that would be a fine choice. Right in the thick of the Scene, too (well, EVERYTHING is in the thick of the Scene in South Beach, it's not that big)!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Don't know much about the Dorset, passed Cardoza and Loews, both looked very nice. I stayed at the Sagamore. Nice, clean hotel, kind of hip. pool somewhat small, but serves it's purpose. Comfortable beach chairs. staff wasn't that great, but i wasn't there for the staff. Overall enjoyed my stay, maybe you could get good rates from quikbook if you're not set on the Dorset. Hope you enjoy.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

good to know. I was interested in sagamore, but didn't see too much info on it. Has anyone else stayed at the sagamore south beach. If so, what did you think? crunch time leaving in a few days. any info appreciated. thanks