Is hawaiibeach.com legitimate?

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is hawaiibeach.com legitimate?

Author: TiVi
Date: 03/28/2007, 08:31 pm

Has anyone used hawaiibeach.com

for vacation rental in Hawaii before? They have many nice vacation homes of all sizes, and the cost is decent.

When we book, they ask us to send them a personal check to pay for the rental fee. They said they do business through the mail. Some of the directions and part of the contract is hand written.

Should I trust them? Or am I just paranoid? Is there any way I can check to see if they are legitimate?

On their web site, it says they have been in business for 10 years. Why wouldn't a business of this size, that has been in business for 10 years still not use Credit Cards?

If anyone has used them before and dound that they are a reputable business, please tell me I am paranoid.

Thank you very very very very much.

TV

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Their website displays the logo for the Kona-Kohala Chamber of Commerce -- who might give you the low-down on the business:
http://www.kona-kohala.com/
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Ag3046

Something about their setup sounds off. I don't know if it's the lack of professionalism or the spraying of the bedding with Lysol that bothers me the most. Something makes me think that you would have a very difficult time getting any refunds if something wasn't satisfactory, or you changed your mind. Something seems really off about them.

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:54 AM

A business of any size which does not use credit cards is probably, among other things, trying to avoid the fees which CC issuers charge merchants.

That notwithstanding, if you feel uncomfortable with their other practices such as the handwritten stuff, etc., then I would hesitate to use them also.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:13 PM

I would definitely check out the Kona Chamber of Commerce. We have done many vacation rentals and I haven't had one that was unacceptable, but I also research there background. The spraying of the mattress with Lysol is probably a reference to killing any bed bugs, a critter which has plagued many hotels and upscale resorts. Many small operations that are family run are quite reputable, but still remain fairly low tech. If you get a good review from the local Chamber of Commerce, I would go ahead.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Hey TiVi,
I am in the same position you were back in March. I am considering a rental with HawaiiBeach.com but it all seems too good to be true. Did you end up renting with them and if so, how did it go?? I would appreciate any help! Thanks!!