Reload this Page >

Introductory Dive Oahu ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Kim

Looking to do an Introductory dive which doesnt require certification. The dive shops we've checked so far only go down 10-15 feet....you can see that much snorkeling. Did a "resort dive" in the Caymens and were 40 feet down......Incredible!!!!!
Any suggestions?

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Statia

Try another dive shop, maybe. Any "resort dive" or Discover Scuba course I've known of takes you to a depth of around 40 feet, like you said.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:45 PM
dcp

I've been a certified diver for over 20 years and would highly discourage anyone from SCUBA diving w/out being certified. While diving is considered a leasurely activity, it can also become very dangerous very very quickly. Like a drivers license, there's a reason you a certification is required. Sure, there places (usually outside the US) that allow people to dive w/out showing proof of certification. However, please check where most deaths and major accidents occur statistically and you'll se that most are associated w/ non certified divers. Please stick to snorkeling (nothing wrong w/ that) or get certified. If you can afford to go to tropical location, surely you can afford to get certified. PS: Sorry to sound preachy but...

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Kehau

Hi Kim,
Perhaps you should check with Hawaii Sea Adventures or Aaron's Dive Shop. I received my advanced certification from Hawaii Sea Adventures, and would recommend Hawaii Sea Adventures to my friends & family. If you have enough time and are willing to take a course, perhaps you could get certified while on Oahu. It would be well worth it!
Have a safe and fun trip,
Kehau

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Kim

Thanks all.......DCP, we are not looking to go diving alone without certification. We have done a resort dive in the past that was sponsored by an experienced dive shop. We had four hours of instruction to include class on land and in the shallow water. Then with an experienced diver in a group of four people we went out close to shore but at a depth of about forty feet. Do you feel that is unsafe as well?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Patty

Whatever you do, don't go with Aloha Dive Shop. They had a cattle boat and were taking people on dives with very minimal instruction (no pool or shallow water instruction first). Lots of people panicked and it was a recipe for disaster. The dive site was also horrible, lots of surge, not much to see. Having said that I also wanted to mention that most of the resort courses seemed to limit their dives to about 30 feet or so.