International Connection in Miami

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Flying to Madrid in April on American Airlines. I have a flight from Atlanta to Miami, then a one hour and twenty minute layover in Miami, then depart MIA for Madrid. I assume since the ticket is issued by American and both legs are American, my luggage will be checked all the way through. What I'm concerned about is whether an hour and twenty minutes is enough time to make the connection. When you land in MIA, do you stay behind the security "wall" or will I have to go through another security check? In Atlanta, you don't have to go back through security during a layover. And what of the international aspect? Will that be taken care of in Atlanta? I've always flown direct from Atlanta to whatever European city I was headed to, but this time have to connect in Miami. And would this question be better answered on the European Forum?

Thanks,
Keith
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 08:08 AM

In my experience going thru MIA on international flights, your connection time is plenty and most of the gates have connecting hallways so that you do not have to go thru security again.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 11:16 AM

At least until renovation is completed (and I don't think it was done last time I passed through MIA, which was May), if you connect to or from E Terminal, you may have to exit and re-enter the secure area, as not all of E Terminal is connected to the rest of the airport. However, 1:20 should be enough time for you to get through, as the number of security stations at MIA have increased; if you find yourself tight for time, ask an official for help getting through security.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 11:27 AM
GoTravel

That is what I was thinking. Most international flights leave from the E concorse so unless your arrival gate is at the E concorse you will have to go out and back through security. Your luggage will be checked through. An hour and twenty minutes is plenty of time.

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
To my mind it's not so much what happens in the Miami airport, but if anything went wrong on the 1st leg of your trip getting from Atlanta to Miami i.e., delayed boarding, delayed take-off, delayed disembarking, etc. Flights can be late at any time for any reason.

p.s. Just this week on business travel between San Fran and Seattle (a 2 hour flight) my boss was delayed 3+ hrs.!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:58 PM

The good thing is that since your flights will all be on the same airline, they will reroute you for free if you miss the connection.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Your luggage will be checked all the way through.

NOTHING that has "happened" to any previous flight to Miami from Atlanta on any airline is necessarily going to happen to you so i advise you to disregard the nervous nellies here telling you all about the horror stories they have "heard about" or "read about" unless you enjoy adding stress to your life.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:22 AM

You didn't ask about this part, but keep in mind it is different if you come back from Europe (or anywhere else international) through Miami (or any other connecting airport in the U.S.). Your luggage can be "checked through" from Madrid to Atlanta, but that only means it is tagged and coded for your final destination at Atlanta. In Miami you must pick up your luggage and take it through immigration, customs, agriculture in Miami as your first U.S. landing and then turn it back in. They have special counters just past the immigration, customs and agriculture inspection stations but in Miami in particular it is all a bit confusing, just ask someone to point you in the right direction. At least in Miami, on your return you also have to go through security again to get to your connecting flight so don't linger too long in the concourse. Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. I had an even shorter connection a couple of years ago at CDG and made it, but hope to avoid any hiccups at the start of my trip.