Search

ORD to SJO via DFW or MIA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ORD to SJO via DFW or MIA

I have two options for connecting flights to Costa Rica. Both flights are midweek, one is through Dallas and the other is through Miami. The connecting time for the MIA flight is about 1 ½ hours, and the connecting time for the DFW flight is 20 minutes longer. These times are for both outbound and inbound. However, the flights through DFW are in different terminals, and DFW is a huge airport. I see now that DFW has a new train which goes between the terminals. When you use this train, do you have to go through security after leaving customs? The last time I went through DFW (before the train), you needed to take a bus to the other terminals and go through security. My incoming flight was a little late and I nearly missed my connection. At MIA, you need to go through security after leaving customs.

The prices for both these flight options are the same. I’m trying to decide on the better option. Any opinions?
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM

The Skylink train at DFW is easy to use. There are two train terminals in each airline terminal, with trains running in both directions, so you are never more than a few minutes from your next gate once you board. You don't need to go through security again. Returning to the U.S., you go through immigration and customs and have to go back through security again, but that would be the case via Miami too.

Don't foget that MIA is huge too and the walks can be long if your Costa Rica flight is in another concourse from where you arrive.

I find Immigration and Customs much easier at Dallas. There are fewer international flights.

Dallas-San Jose is about 4 hours. Miami-San Jose is about 2.5 hours. But I still prefer the Dallas flight because you get dinner on the way down and lunch on the way back. (We are talking American Airlines, I assume.)
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM

I agree with Jeff. Have come in through both airports and definitely prefer DFW. Immigration at Miami was in such a state of mass confusion once when we came in that almost everyone missed their connections. There were probably 2000 people trying to find their way into lines (not enough open) and no organization or anyone there to help. My daughter and I found ourselves in line in front of someone who had already been milling around for 1.5 hour. It was truly a nightmare.

We ran into a little problem a couple of weeks ago in DFW when our flight left SJO a little late and then had to sit on the runway in DFW before getting to the gate. After customs, the security line was extremely long and we ran like crazy people to our gate (10 minutes before scheduled departure) only to find that there had been a last minute gate change. We continued running (it was at least another 5 min) and barely made it. One gate had called the other and alerted them. They were waiting for us (isn't that a switch?!), put our carry-ons under for us (there was no room left), and we fell panting into our seats.

Those short connections can be real nice, but when there are unexpected delays, look out!

Good luck to you--I'm sure it will all work out just fine!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM

I haven't gone through DFW but I can tell you that the Miami airport SUCKS! We had a 4 hour layover on our trip last year (and another to look forward to next month). There is nothing to do in the terminal except eat expensive food at the one crappy restaurant there. Coming back was quite chaotic with long lines through customs that almost made us miss our connection (5 min to spare). I had a bad feeling when they just took our luggage and placed it with a huge pile of luggage going who knows where. Needless to say, my bag got lost (it finally showed up a week later).

Unfortunately when we go back to CR next month we have to fly through MIA on the way there but coming back we go through Houston
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I have been through Miami several times and Dallas only once. In my case, I had less trouble going through Miami than through Dallas. Customs in Miami wasn't a problem. Maybe my timing was right. When going through Dallas, my incoming flight was late, and the line through customs wasn't too long, but was very slow. After getting through there, I still had to get to another terimal and go through security. I just made my connecting flight.