Changing Planes at Miami Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at return flights from Orlando to LAX and one of the flights I'm considering has a 30 minute layover at MIA. During this time, I'll have to switch planes. Am I crazy to be considering this flight or could I actually make it? I'm hoping someone out there has experience with MIA. This is an AA flight, btw and would be on a Saturday evening in mid-November. Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:58 AM

I have made them that close B4 in MIA

with AA.com as long as the gates are pretty close

odds are good u will be fine still insuremytrip.com

always wise and 45 minutes or more would be ideal.
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:30 AM

Agree, 30 minutes is cutting it close but doable only if your incoming and connecting flights arrive/depart from the same terminal (assuming your in bound flight arrives on time and both gates are in close proximity).

The thing is AA operates out of several different terminals (mostly D and E) at MIA so that could cause you a problem. Also, if your Orlando to Miami is on American Eagle you could end up deplaning out on the Tarmac and having to take a bus to the terminal before you can walk to your connecting gate - that will take more time.

Lastly, do this only if you are doing carry-on luggage - checked baggage will probably not make the connecting flight.

Personally, I think you are setting yourself up for failure and you'd be better off with a longer connection.
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:05 PM

The only answer to your question involves "if your incoming flight is on time" and who can predict that about your specific flight - % on-time tables are just averages.

I am less willing to book a short connection time these days since there is no guarantee there will even be a seat on the next flight out.

The fact that other people have made connections that close does not mean you will - not the reverse. I wouldn't try it.
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM

correction - nor the reverse - just because someone missed the connection does not mean you will
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I looked up the on-time %'s for the flight and it's not so good! Apparently, the flight from Orlando to MIA is over 30 minutes late 19% of the time. Sheesh. I'm going to pick a different flight. Thanks!