Internal- or external-frame backpack?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a 4-day backpacking trip in Yosemite in July. My external-frame backpack is over 30 years old and needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to buy a new internal-frame pack, but wonder if there are enough places to tie on a sleeping bag, etc. Do any hikers have a preference for one type over the other?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:31 AM

One big issue is how you are going to get there. Airlines are happy to check internal frame packs, external frame packs are subject to more damage.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Internal frames are usually more expensive but seem to be preferred by most experienced hikers. They are sized to your frame, many are adjustable, and usually are lger capacity but you don't need much for 4 days vs. a wk-10 days. My sons always used straps to tie sleeping bag in waterproof sack at bottom. When they flew w/ their packs, they unpacked them and placed them inside a duffle bag since airlines have been known to bend the frame of a pack. Sure you could google and get info or a knowledgable outfitter store could help. Good luck!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:53 AM

I prefer internal and my pack has a compartment, which I can separate with a zipper if I want, that houses my sleeping bag. If you get a compression sack for your sleeping bag, you should have no problem fitting it in or strapping it to the exterior of your pack.

For 4 days, I would have just packed it inside. However, my trips have always been with a few others so we were able to distribute the camping gear amongst us.

One thing I like about my bag is there is a nylon cover that I can zip around/over the shoulder straps - it covers them all up. This is a handy feature when I've flown with my bag as it keeps all the "danglies" from getting caught in the luggage machines.

Have a great trip - enjoy-la!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:07 AM

I echo klam chowders post to a "T". If you buy a new pack, be sure to put weight in it and walk around the store with it for a while. If you have an REI near you, that is a great place to get fitted.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM

My husband and I recently flew with backpacks, mine internal his external, on the way out his pack cost an extra $25.00. Just an FYI. Airtran, oversize fee. Hubby and his son both swear by their external packs, I was fine with mine.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

I'm planning to drive to Yosemite, so checking the backpack on an airline is not an issue. I'm kind of short, so I'm thinking that an internal frame might fit MY frame better. Unfortunately, there are no REI or similar stores within 200 miles of me, so I'm going to have to order online.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How about Sport Chalet in Oxnard?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Here are my favorite online outlet sources:

www.campmor.com
www.sierratradingpost.com
www.rei-outlet.com

Read reviews and order online asap so you have time to carry it around with weight in it to be sure it fits your frame, then return it and try again if it doesn't work for you. I prefer internal frame packs but fit is hugely important either way. I'm 5'4" and LOVE my woman's Gregory.

Happy trails!