Favorite 22" Rolling Carry-On

Apr 6th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Favorite 22" Rolling Carry-On

I saw a question earlier on messanger bags. How about sharing advice on FAA accepted 22x14x10 rolling bags? Thanks.
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM

have you thought to use the search function?
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM

I don't think there's anything special about suitcases. My 22" was bought on sale years ago at JC Pennys.

That said, with the strict carry-on restrictions lately, I just pack generously in a 24" instead and check it thru.

Are you trying to carry this suitcase on the plane? Is that the idea?
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:57 AM

There is no such thing as an "FAA accepted" rolling bag. It is strictly an airline decision about what is accepted. Last year on Luftsana every roll bag in front of us flunked the the size box test because the wheels and generally the handle would not fit inside the box. Second, it is easy to overpack a rolling bag so the probability of using a rolling bad as a carryon is going downhill as airlines get stricker and stricker.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:01 AM

My favorite one is the one that is checked and not hogging the space in the cabin.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:07 AM

I have an LL Bean rolling duffle (can't remember what size I bought). Don't overpack it and it should be fine. Never had a problem with it as a carryon - both domestic and international. And lifetime guarantee.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM

If you are trying to get this suitcase on the plane with you as carry-on, you need to take into account weight (when fully packed) along with measurements. Even if your size is OK many carriers now are strict about weight.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM

I like Travelpro. I suggest you get one with solid (not elastic compression straps). You can pack more compactly with non-stretch compression straps inside the suitcase.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:50 AM

The best carryon roller I've ever used was made by Dakota, the "value line" from Tumi. Not made anymore, but you can still find it on Ebay. I like my roller so much my El Destructo husband is forbidden to use it (he's 10 times worse than any airport baggage handler, they should have used him instead of the gorilla in those old American Tourister ads...there is NOTHING he can't break!).
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM

My trusty TravelPro 22" rollaway has taken excellent care of me for many years, and many miles. I would feel lost without it!

The wheels still turn as smooth as butter, and the ballistic fabric is virtually bullet-proof.
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM

I think it depends on how much you travel. I have a Vitronox 22" in HOT PINK! I love it, but for an occassional traveler that's probably more then you want to spend.
(Hot Pink is great because NO business man is going to drag it off the baggage claim belt when I do check it!)
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Vitronox is heavy empty. I was considering one but decided against it for that reason.
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM

I bought the Victorinox backpack/roller combo after seeing & playing with one at REI. The pull handle was the most ergonomic for my frame, but listen to the other posters when they tell you that the only consideration you should have is ease of portability onto trains, into taxi's, etc. Alitalia changed their carryon limits to 8 kilo's before our trip and the best I could do was about 12.5 kilo's packed! Into the hold it went, me wishing the whole time I'd bought something a little more robust in terms of anti-crush & non-absorbant of foreign fluids. I got away with it, but wondered why I went to the trouble after the trip... I used the backpack straps exactly twice - both times climbing to our rooms in Varenna & Vernazza - while schlepping my wife's bag with my free hands!