Interisland Fare Info 6/99

Jul 5th, 1999, 04:16 AM
rmiller

Interisland Fare Info 6/99

I just came back from a 2 week Oahu/Kauai vacation and purchased an interisland coupon through a local travel agency an Oahu resident-friend uses. I had to purchase a Hawaiian Airlines R/T coupon voucher w/c is redeemable for a ticket ($49-$53 depending on the agency) as I wasn't a Hawaii resident. Aloha offers the $49 coupons ONLY for residents. Make sure the t-agent CHECKS your DRIVER'S LICENSE, as she first assumed I was a resident and almost sold me an Aloha Air ticket on "Kamaaina "(Hawaii resident)rates. The ticket counter will also check your I.D. and if you purchase the wrong voucher, you'll have to pay the full-fare difference. The t-agent mentioned that Island Air is the most expensive and is a smaller plane. The coupons expire on 9/99. They're convenient since they have hourly flights so they're changeable. I believe AAA rates are $77/one-way, so this may be the most inexpensive way to go.

Also, in the local weekly guidebook "Oahu This Week" in Hawaii newsstands, there are ads for inter-island excursions and fares: in the 6/21 issue:
1. "Best Value Travel" 1-800-596-0421 is listing interisland fares @$39.95 each way. Also $103/overnighter fares based on double occupancy w/c includes r/t airfare, accomodations & 24 hr. car rental.

A 1-day guided tour is $117 w/c includes r/t air, sighttseeing on motorcoaches to places like Haleakala, Iao Needle/Lahaina Town/Kaanapali in Maui; Waimea Canyon/Spouting Horn/ Wailua River Boat Tour/Old Russian Fort in Kauai; Volcano Nat'l Park/Kailua Town/Parker Ranch/Punaluu Black Sand Beach in Hawaii;

2. "Regal Tours" (808) 971-1100 listing a "One Day Neighbor Island Tour" to Maui/Kauai/Hawaii from $119.

These other deals are based on 2 traveling: Fly/Drive to Hawaii/Maui/Kaui for $95 tax & service charge included. Also lists "Neighbor Island Overnighters"(Air, Room, Car) for $129.

It's worth checking out.

Jul 5th, 1999, 04:28 AM
Vic Osaki

I don't understand what you did. As a non-resident do you have a buy a coupon and a ticket. Can I call a travel agent from the US to get this deal? Do you have an agent that I can call?

Jul 5th, 1999, 01:49 PM
Ruth

Vic, I'm not clear as to why the above poster bought his ticket through a travel agent BUT - If you fly Hawaiian Airlines, you can use your ATM card on all the islands to get a blank ticket out of a bank machine for $53.00. You just write your name in the blank space, and that's your ticket, period. Or you can buy a booklet of six blank tickets at the counter which average out to about $51/per ticket. (Good for two people traveling to a couple of other islands.) The only cheaper price that I saw quoted was $39 for Aloha, if you joined "www.sunnyhawaii.com" on the internet. That was after my last trip, and I never really checked out the details. Hope this helps!

Jul 8th, 1999, 06:27 PM
Tiare Tagupa

In the interest of keeping the information on this board complete, accurate and reputable...let me add the following information...Inter-island Air coupons are not redeemable for inter-island airfare. These coupons are used IN PLACE of published inter-island air fare and reservations can be changed as many times as needed without additional costs. Aloha and Island Air do offer non-resident inter-island coupons, but the prices are higher and the availabilty is limited. However, the prices are largely less expensive than the AAA rate. Coupon prices and expiration dates vary somewhat throughout the year, so all coupons are not expiring on 9/99 there are currently coupons available for travel until 1/00 and even some that have no expiration date! Best Value Travel pricing is and has always been misleading. You will find the real prices are normally significantly higher than advertised...Regal Travel (not Regal Tours)markets primarily to Hawaii residents and their prices usually reflect resident rates.

Yes, you can buy coupons via ATM in hawaii, however, this not guaranteee that the ATM will be working or that there will be coupons in them when you are ready to insert your charge card. ATM's have been known quite frequently to be out of order and even empty of coupons. Aslo, buying a coupon just before a flight will not allow a passenger to have bags transferred between mainland and inter-island flights. Also.. the page at sunnyhawaii.com was last updated on 12/98, I seriously doubt the accuracy of their pricing. I do know that Coupons are available for sale over the internet at: http://www.hawaii-nei.com. they are also available occasionally at ebay.com.

Hoping this will clarify the situation and if there are any further questions, please feel free to email me at: [email protected]

Jul 8th, 1999, 09:38 PM
Ruth

Just to comment further on buying your tickets at ATM machines: Lottie is right. To have your bags transferred from a Mainland flight to an interisland one automatically, you must purchase your interisland ticket on the Mainland. But, even with AAA discount, the ticket bought that way was still about $25 more than buying it at the ATM machine right inside the airport or using one from a booklet, as mentioned in my post above. So I choose to pick up my bags after getting into Honolulu, and recheck them for the interisland flight to save $25 / per ticket.

I don't recommend you wait until right before a flight to run to the nearest ATM to get your ticket. Obviously, if the ATM was down, it's going to be real inconvenient. So you want to get them well ahead of time or buy a booklet of six at the counter if that's the amount you'll need overall.

As I said above, I didn't investigate the "www.sunnyhawaii.com" offer of $39 flying Aloha. I thought someone else with a trip in the planning stages might want to!

Jul 9th, 1999, 07:07 AM
Vic

Thank you rmiller, Ruth and Tiare I certainly appreciate the information. I purchased two inter island round trip tickets through the AAA for $140.50 + a $5.00 service charge for a total as stated by rmiller of $145.50. The total through Aloha would have been $186. The savings of $81 will buy my daughter and I a nice dinner in Hawaii. The reservation agent was unaware of this special.

Jul 9th, 1999, 07:49 AM
Vic

I forgot to mention. Buying tickets in Hawaii a few days before your flight is scary. We are forever trying to get on a different inter island flight from the one we have reserved. More often than not we are placed on stand by. Again more often than not we get on our chosen flight. And if we don't, the next flight is usually within an hour.
The scary part though is the way they handle the boarding priority. First those with reserved seats, then those who have not made it on a previous flight. Theoretically, although I have never seen this happen, you could be faced with a large number of people in front of you. The fact that you are on stand by for a particular flight is irrelevant since those earliest in line board first.
Just picture this. You buy a ticket in Hawaii and you are on stand by on a flight that connects with a mainland flight.
Also, I know almost everyone in Hawaii including tourists are honest. But it does make me feel a bit uneasy that the airline usually puts bags on the first available flight. If you don't get on that flight your luggage is sitting unattended at your destination.
That raises an interesting question. I thought that each bag placed on board must be associated with a passenger who is actually on board. Our plane recently was delayed in London because they thought a passenger with hold luggage did not board.

Jul 9th, 1999, 08:07 AM
Ruth

Vic, It shouldn't be scary to wait and buy your interisland tickets after you get to Hawaii, as long as you have made your reservations for flights beforehand. You know you have a reserved seat - just make sure you buy your ticket at the ATM or booklet of coupons at the counter in time to make your reserved flight. Right?

As for the luggage arriving ahead of you, what happens to us when we've jumped earlier flights than we'd reserved is that we have to wait for our luggage - it usually comes on the flight you originally reserved. So I've never worried about it - my luggage has never gone on a flight before me, although I guess that could happen.

Jul 9th, 1999, 10:57 PM
lin

My husband and I just returned from Hawaii on Thurs. and here's my experience with coupons.
I initially asked a travel agent to arrange for the inter island flights between Oahu-Maui, Maui-Hawaii, Hawaii-Oahu. They wanted to charge me almost $100 per person per flight - or $600!!
Through this website, I saw references to coupons but couldn't really figure out what they were all about. My travel agent professed to have no knowledge of them. So I called Aloha Airlines (saw an ad for them in a brochure - what did I know?) and they said that we could buy a coupon book that consisted of 6 tickets for a total of $315. They were good for a year from purchase. Six tickets were exactly what my husband and I needed. We were told that we could either purchase them at the airport, or could go to Sears at the Ala Moana Mall near Waikiki and buy them there. The great part about this is that they went ahead an took my reservations for ALL of the interisland hops prior to us leaving for Hawaii, so that was a load off of my mind. When we got to the airport for our interisland flight, we simply each gave them one coupon every time we flew to a different island. It was great and we saved almost $300!!
Also, the last day of our trip we were on the island of Hawaii and had to fly back to Oahu to catch our plane home. I was able to check my bags on Aloha Airlines on Hawaii, and they took care of transferring them to my final destination on another airlines - and they were there waiting for me.
I didn't check into any other deals to know if there are cheaper coupons or not. But my experience with Aloha was great.

Jul 11th, 1999, 11:37 AM
Joanne

We are going to Maui in October and hubby wants to go to Pearl Harbor. Are there any tour companies that arrange for the flight and the Pearl Harbor tour?

Jul 12th, 1999, 04:51 PM
Tiare Tagupa

Aloha from Hawaii!

Yes, coupons have been a long kept local secret!! They have actually been in around since the beginnings of Mid Pacific Airlines in the early 80's...
However, you cannot buy singles from airlines AND you cannot mix airlines with coupons...however, you can do both when buying them online.

There are many who do Pearl Harbor tour. I will post a list soon.

A hui hou,
Tiare

Jul 12th, 1999, 05:13 PM
Ruth

Tiare, You actually can buy a single coupon from Hawaiian through the ATM machine. (Maybe you meant you can't buy a single at the counter? Or you can buy a single at the counter, but you will pay full price, right?) Believe it or not, an Aloha reservations agent is the first person to tell me about the local coupons a few years ago. He actually offered to buy a book of coupons for me on his credit card, mail it to me, and let me send him a check. I was utterly amazed that such trusting people still exist, and of course, I didn't take him up on it. But he wanted to save me the inconvenience of having to pick up my bags in Honolulu, and re-check them for the interisland flight. That's one of the best examples of the "Aloha Spirit" that I've encountered!

Of course, the travel agents don't want to know about those coupons because it's money out of their pocket!

Jul 15th, 1999, 04:48 PM
tiare

Yes, Ruth...I used to tell all that would listen about inter-island coupons when I worked at Aloha Airlines myself a few years ago. They are simple to use and a great deal. Coupons at first they sound too good to be true, but they have survived due to popular demand and as a method for the airline to generate fast cash in times of dire need. Inter-island flights average about 35-40 minutes each, which in my humble opinion makes making airfares over $75 one way really ridiculous!

Also...my agenda in pontificating about these coupons is simply that if more folks use coupons, it will keep the airfare down overall. Inter-island airfare increases mean that locals will pay more and more to get to the outer-islands! Afterall..we cannot just hop on the freeway and drive to another county within our state! We used to have Mahalo Air to counter balance the ever escalating airfares...but they are no longer.

When I was at Aloha, there was a serious attempt by then management to discontinue all coupons because they felt that it was simply affecting their profit margins. When that quietly got around, locals and local travel agents alike responded rather forcefully. So, management was fired and coupons remain...and the story continues!

A hui hou,
tiare