insurance on rental cars

Search

insurance on rental cars

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insurance on rental cars

hi all friendly people. me and my family are traveling to Austin this summer and i´m trying to find a good deal on a rental car. the rates are around 400USD for our 18 days but then with the insurance it ends up at appr 8-900USD what sort of insurance do i really need as a foreigner renting a car in the US. Thanx Jacob from Sweden
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:28 PM

The short answer is that you don't "need" to buy the extra insurance if you're using a credit card that covers it. Since credit card policies differ among countries where the card is issued, you should first find out from your CC what is covered, and what's not.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

hi thanx for your answer i no my CC does not have any insurances like this
but is a rental car totally uninsured when i rent it because her in sweden we never have to bother about this. please explain. Kindly jacob
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM

The rental car company has 3rd party insurance, which will cover damage/injury to other people's property and bodies. However, you'll be responsible for the rental car itself.

Forget to say, you should also check with your own auto insurance in Sweden. Maybe they will cover that part, I don't know.

But it's going to be a lot of trouble and paperwork if you get into any kind of accident, if you don't buy the Comprehensive Damage Waiver (CDW) from the rental car company. I can't tell you if that's worth $500, however.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:40 PM

If you don;t buy the collision insurance and you total the car you will owe the car rental company $20-$30,000 at worst. If it;s only a minor collision - but with some body damage and loss of rental time to the company you will probably owe them in the region of $5,000.

Also - if you don;t buy the insurance they will put a large hold on your credit card - so unless you're using Amex you won;t have the use of the card for the trip.

Some companies - and only some states allow this - will not rent you the car if you don;t buy the insurance.