Reload this Page >

rental car liability waver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Dennis

Message: I am planning on an extended (4 week) auto tour of the west. I recently found out that my credit cards will only cover two weeks of the rental car liability waver. Does anyone know of a way around this?

I thought about trying to get the rental on two credit cards, but I am not sure that the rental company (Avis) will allow it. Or, in the event of a problem, will the credit card companies provide the coverage?

I will not be able to change autos in the middle of the trip because I will be a long way away from where I started.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Danna

Call your insurance agent. I am under the impression that the coverage on my own car insurance covers the rental car.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:36 AM
aaa

You're still subject to the deductbiles you have on your regular policy.
Ask the agent if you are covered for the rental agency's loss of rental use for the car, too. They may bill you for the car being out of service during repairs.
The major platinum/gold credit card companies usually cover the damage if you use them to rent but it may only cover what your own insurance doesn't.
There may also be a length of time you can rent the vehicle and still be covered.
When the insurance agent let's you know about your coverages, write a letter back to them confirming the conversation and if you have misunderstood what was explained about the rental coverage, to let you know right now. Just to be on the safe side.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Dennis

ttt

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:56 PM
x

you may want to purchase separate insurance. also, check your coverage - some credit card companies only cover collision costs. if for some reason, the accident results in an injury, the credit card company will not cover any costs related to non-property damage. perhaps you could try one of the low cost auto insurance companies to see if they'll do a one-month coverage. i know some companies will do special policies for mexico or canada, so i don't see why they wouldn't do short term coverage as well.

otherwise, i've never heard of any way to get around the 2 week limit other than purchasing the insurance with the car rental company. but we all know that's highway robbery.