Inside Passage Cruise Excursions

Aug 1st, 2003, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Inside Passage Cruise Excursions

Hi---I'm posting this both here and on the cruise forum. I'm a first-timer to Alaska, taking a cruise----what are some "don't miss this one" excursions? I'll be on the Carnival Spirit in August. Thanks!
Aug 1st, 2003, 04:05 PM

The White Pass Railroad in Skagway.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:50 AM

There are far too many "don't misses" for 5 trips. Most important please look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Determine budget- it really does no good to recommend a tour if it is out of your price range or interest.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thx Budget Queen------since I don't know Alaska well, I've been reading the shore exc. book, and honestly, they all sound alike (and beautiful). And I guess $$$$ isn't an object----no more than $200 a piece I guess. (no prices listed in my book). We're doing the usual, Skagway, Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. Would love to know what you enjoyed----we enjoy all the things listed re: hiking, kayaking, etc. Just wondering if there were any that people just loved 'cus the scenery blew them away. Thx to Deborah---several friends recommended the RR also.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:28 AM

I have my 16th Alaska trip booked for next month- so I have plenty of favorites. Look again at your list and try and see what interests you. Kayaking is excellent in Haines (ferry ride from Skagway) and tops in Ketchikan. Consider booking with Southeast Kayaks. For flights my #1 favorite is a glacier helicopter landing- Coastal is the cheapest- Out of Juneau.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:43 AM

We loved the salmon fishing in Skagway.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:38 AM

We did the inside passage on Royal Caribbean, so I don't know if Carnival offers this one, but...One excursion that totally blew us away was a "flight and float" excursion. We boarded a amll plane which literally flew through Glacier Park. It happened to be a clear 82 degree day, so we could fly low and had FANTASTIC views. Most of us were so overwhelmed that we were in tears. It was all choreographed to music and was too wonderful to even describe. We were then bussed to the river and rafted back to the ship. What a totally wonderful day.