Search

Kalaulau Trail

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kalaulau Trail

We are going to Kauai in September and thinking about hiking the first 2 miles of the Kalaulau trail. What are the conditions like? Is it muddy? Can we do it in Tevas or are hiking boots required?
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:37 AM

I think this post is about the same place. Not sure about the spelling...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34416819
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Iza

We hiked the first 2 miles in August of last year and were glad to have hiking shoes (low top, light hiking boots or sturdy "trail" type sneakers). It was muddy and very slippery in places so you need footwear with good traction. It was also quite rocky in other places so you are better off wearing shoes that protect your toes. I saw some people in tevas and even in flip flops and they were definitely not comfortable.

I usually wear my hikers for the flight so there is no packing/weight problem.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Did this a couple of years ago - it was one of the most memorable things I've ever done. Although I saw people struggling along in stupid shoes, in my view, to do it safely hiking boots are a must. I imagine it would be muddy after rain. The terrain is tough going - it may not sound a huge distance but do not underestimate how much it takes out of you. The most important thing of all is to take about 3 times as much water as you think you will need.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:31 PM

It may be muddy if it's rained recently. When we were there last May it was fairly dry with a few slippery spots. I wore sneakers with hiking boot type tread. I thought they were about perfect for me. My husband wore flip flops. He was definitely not struggling and I had to tell him to slow down several times, but I wouldn't recommend it for most people.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:36 PM

Depends on recent rainfall...in May it was pretty dry with a few slick spots like Patty mentioned. Whatever shoe you decide on, just make sure they are broken in and your toes are comfy. Take bandaids just in case...along with plenty of water blah, blah, blah. It's an amazing hike!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:07 PM
gyppielou

definately bring broken in hiking shoes!!! not just for this hike but for the many secluded beaches you may opt to search out, many are a little hike and when muddy....you'll want all the help you can get to reach magical places. Conditions are unpredictable, but your shoes don't need to be. Happy trails!!!

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:22 PM

We did it in Tevas and were glad to be able to dip our feet in the waterfalls and streams along the way. Yes, it gets muddy after rain, but Tevas wash off nicely in the cool pools of rain water.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 04:32 PM

How hard is this hike...I am a frequent "walker" (fortyish, fatish) but not comfortable with having to do much climbing over boulders etc. Do you wind up at a beach at the two mile point?
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:42 PM

Did the Kalaulau trail 7/8/03. Had visions of hiking the 2 mi to beach and going on 2 mi to falls. Trail was wet & slippery. You need good traction shoes! It took us 1 hr 45 min to do the 2 mi. It was so worth it! The views were incredibly beautiful..the beach was so beautiful! Did not go on to the falls, we would have had a hard time hiking back out 4 miles. We sprayed our shoes with water repellent and the red mud washed off easily.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 06:37 PM

Hi Mary,

I am also in my 40's and walk and exercise, but I am by no means a "hiker". I walked the two miles to the beach in sneakers. It was not so muddy. There were times I was ready to turn back, but my family prodded me on. I'm really glad they did! It was one of the best hikes ever! We thought it too difficult to go to the waterfall, since we had a late start (12:30 pm), but if you leave early you might think about doing it. It took us just under two hours to get to the beach. There were some big boulders to get over once on the trail and on the way to the beach. Just take your time, bring enough water and take breaks to catch your breath. You can relax when you get to the beach. The way back seems easier since you will know what to expect. Let us know how you do.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I have visions of myself sliding down the cliffs as my husband and sons roll their eyes!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:07 PM

Everything I've read says to check on recent rainfall - last couple of days. Also to start early and carry lots of water. September will still be hot. One site I found with some photos: http://www.naturalbornhikers.com

Select Hawaii then Haena State Park. Please post when you return, I want to do this but better half not keen !
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:44 AM

Mary2Go, I match your description, but found the hike just fine last year. I started out early, before the path got crowded (yes, it does get crowded), after a morning rain. There were some slick spots, and a few small boulder scrambles, but nothing too daunting. You get to a beach, which involves a fairly steep path down--which means a climb back up--but it was worth it. As others have noted, do not go on to the falls. The going gets rougher after the beach.