Indian restaurants in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are honeymooning in NYC after Christmas, and we would love to eat at a great Indian restaurant. I thought these three looked really good:

Tamarind
Dawat
Chola

We are definitely more interested in good food than trendiness. We would also like to stay in Manhattan for this. Any advice? Thank you in advance!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Baluchi's is a chain, but I think the best one is at Spring & Sullivan in Soho. It's a bit cheaper than Tamarind, but still has a really cool atmosphere, and it's in a great neighborhood.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM

TexasGirl,

Of the 3, I have only eaten at Tamarind, which is very good (and is a bit trendier than most Indian Restaurants.

Dawat and Chola are consistently rated among the top Indian restaurants in the city, so I am sure you couldn't go wrong with either.

Devi is also supposed to be good and a bit trendier as well.

Tabla is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. It is really not an Indian restaurant per se, but more Indian fusion (i.e. use of Indian spices and flavors in dishes). Great food, great service and great space.

If you choose any of the above though, and I don't think you will go wrong.

And no offense to the previous poster, but Baluchi's is just an average Indian chain with several locations in the city. I have eaten there several times myself, but it is certainly not where I would choose to go if I had to pick out one Indian restaurant, esp. on my Honeymoon.

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your honeymoon in NYC!

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:10 PM

None taken, and I agree that you can do better than a chain. The Baluchi's at Spring and Sullivan happens to be closest to my apartment, so I end up eating there way too much.

The food at Devi is wonderful, and I love the atmosphere. It's beautifully decorated and the service is great.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM

If you are willing to leave Manhattan, take the E train or the 7 to Jackson Heights. Others perhaps can recommend THE place to try, but you might enjoy the atmosphere of the neighbohood along with a great Indian meal.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM

You might want to check the restaurants in Little India on Lex and 27th St. Annapurna is excellent, and the bread is wonderful.

My favorite in the city is a bit of a hike, but so worth it, to Kismat on the UPPEST west side on Ft. Washington and 187th St. YOu might go up the Cloisters in Ft. Tryon Park and then walk down Ft. Washington to Kismat for dinner.

Congratulations and have a great time while you are here.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Our favorite place for Indian in the city is Minar on 46th or 47th between 6th and 7th. The place has NO atmosphere and looks like a hole in the wall but the food is awesome and cheap. It was recommended years ago by an Indian friend who's family had frequented the place for years. To this day all of their family events are catered by the restaurant. It is a great stop if you're seeing a Broadway show or in Times Square but they do close a little early as their busiest time is lunch. Have fun!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:22 PM

I liked Pangal (Pongal?) on Lexington and 25th or therea bouts.

Some say the service can be somewhat Indian/indifferent at times, but having just returned from India, it seemed fine to us both times we were there. The food is southern indian and was excellent. Kind of dark and romantic too.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM

Devi on E18th St. seems to be always considered the top or one of the top Indian restaurant in the city.

Bukhara Grill in Midtown East is another favorite places by Indians that I know, especially for the restaurant's North Indian dishes.

Their overwhelming favorite, unfortunately, is not in Manhattan. Jackson Diner in Jackson Heights, Queens is the destination of choice..

If you want to try something different, Tabla on Madison and 25th, is famed New York restaurateur Danny Meyer's (11 Madison Park, Gramercy Tavern, Unioon Sq. Cafe, etc.) take on the fusion of classic Indian dishes and American fares.

Bon appetit !
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:39 AM

We ate at The Bombay Palace back in June and it was really good. The service can't be beat and the food was outstanding. It's near Rockefellar Center, maybe W 53rd. They have a website.

I was really happy with this choice, I had gone through a list similiar to you and asked on here as well. I thought the dining room was cozy and beautiful.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Another vote for Bombay Palace -- great service and very good food. A nice setting.

But I think for a really special occasion (like a honeymoon) I'd go to Tabla. No, it's not traditional Indian food, but Indian-inspired. And, it's really good.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Devi, Tamarind or Tabla would be my picks. Chola is interesting because they have dishes from all over the subcontinent. I do not think Dawat is as good as it once was...
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM

What about Sapphire near Columbus Circle?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:50 AM

devi is fabulous, it is definately not traditonal indian food. i was actually disappointed in tabla. i would strongly recomend brick lane. prices are good, and it's second only to my favorite indian resterant in the world, but it's on long island...
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Tabla. Afterwards, take a stroll through Madison Square Park and look at the Flatiron Building. (Take a few whiffs in Jo Malone and die!)

Christine