In Search for New York's Most Accessible Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip to New York with my father who is in a wheel-chair. He is completely self-sufficient. Does anyone else have any helpful leads on particularly accessible hotels---while I realize that all must offer some sort of concession for handicapped guests, I thought someone may know of one that was particularly good in this area. As he has many friends in the Brooklyn Heights area, we were contemplating staying at the Marriott near the Brooklyn Bridge---has anyone stayed here? We'd prefer to be outside of the Times Square madness. $200-300 a night in September for a Friday, Sat., and Sun. stay is the ballpark figure.
Any ideas?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:40 PM

ttt
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:59 PM

I would suggest checking with www.hotels.com for rates on hotels midtown Manhattan, like the Hilton on 6th Ave.

Staying at the Marriott you will have problems getting around town, staying midtown you will have more options and easier access to cabs.

Friends from Brooklyn will find it easy to get into Manhattan on the subway and since Dan is in a wheelchair the subways are not wheelchair friendly yet, that is being worked on all over the city to provide elevators to alot of the stations especially in midtown, 34th St 42nd St. 59th St for example. All the buses have access for wheelchairs, just stop at a bus stop and the driver will get Dad on and buckeled in.

Hope this helps and have a great time while you are here.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 02:57 AM

The Brooklyn Marriott is not a particularly good location for your purposes. I gather there's not much nearby for dining etc.

If your Father is interested in doing sightseeing, perhaps try to get a hotel near some of the locations that interest him. If the main purpose of the trip is to meet with his friends in Brooklyn Heights, perhaps staying in downtown Manhattan, nearer Brooklyn would make things a bit easier for them.

Most of the major hotels will have accessible rooms. The idea of a suite hotel with a small kitchen might also be a good idea. Downtown, the Embassy Suites might be a good idea. The Marriott Financial Center and the Ritz Carlton Battery Park City, while not suite hotels are downtown and are sometimes quite affordable on weekends as the area tends to be more business oriented.

Affinia (affinia.com) is a group of all suite hotels. Their rooms tend to be large. Those are in midtown. The Affinia Dumont on east 34 st might be a good choice. Check prices both on their website and also on quikbook.com

The city itself is pretty accessible. All the buses are kneeling buses (lower for wheelchair). All the curbs are dropped.

Once you've picked some hotels, I'd suggest phoning directly to check on details.

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 03:14 AM

I wish I had really specific info, but in general, the newer the hotel the more accessible it is. Under the ADA, historic buildings can get some exemptions from accessibility.

After you shop locations and rates, call the hotel directly, even if you are going to book on-line. Ask specific questions (your father will know which are important to him). Some places call themselves accessible, and then there is "only one little step" which defeats the entire concept.

Questions are things like - is there a ramp or street level entrance in the front (as opposed to having to enter thru back or loading dock); Are there any rooms with roll-in showers; Are there any steps to bar or restaurant area?
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:20 AM

I used to work for a company that makes powerchairs and scooters. One of the R&D guys has his own website, which is great. You might want to check out this site and/or post a question. They are very helpful! Have fun! http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! I will look into your suggestions. Now I just need to secure those Yankees tickets.... =)