Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

In O'ahu - Halekulani or Kahala Mandarin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have scheduled our first visit to O'ahu for April 16 - April 20 to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. In accordance with the special occassion, we tried to select one of the nicest hotels in O'ahu. Fodor's highly recommends the Halekulani but my co-worker says the Mandarin is by far better. We are staying 4 nights is Maui prior to coming to O'ahu so we are looking forward to shopping, dining, sightseeing as much as, if not more than the beaches.

Has anyone stayed at both/either and what was your experience?

Thanks,
Prencis from Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:28 PM

I've not stayed in either hotel--since I live on Oahu--but your choice kind of depends on the location you want. The Halekulani is on the edge of Waikiki--sort of off by itself on a beautiful beach, but with all the action of busy Waikiki nearby.
The Mandarin is also on a lovely beach, but in more of a residential neighborhood.
Each hotel has fine restaurants--Orchids at the Halekulani is my favorite. Sitting at the outdoor tables at the "House Without a Key" at the Halekulani and watching the sun go down is a peak experience!
You will enjoy either place, but the Halekulani is sooo special--it would be my choice.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Both of them are nice hotels, but I'd also go with the Halekulani if you like shopping and dining. Many more options near your hotel.

I would, however go to dinner out at the Kahala Mandarin. the grounds are beautiful and Hoku's is a really nice restaurant.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:20 PM

I suggest you read the reviews on TripAdvisor before making a final decision.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:28 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Halekulani in November. It was our first time to Oahu. If you are looking for shopping and dining, then staying on Waikiki is a great idea. If you are looking for a luxury hotel with a great beach then I'm afraid you'll need to look elsewhere.

We enjoyed our stay at the Halekulani but I'm not sure we would stay there again. We had an ocean front Diamond Head view and the view was in fact spectacular. But our room was rather small, the shower stall was tiny and there wasn't even room to store our suitcases out of the way. The bed was very comfy, however.

Despite the hotel's self-description, it's not really off by itself. It's smack dab in the middle of Waikiki, surrounded by other hotels and condos. We were fine with that but you should be aware that it's not sitting off all alone.

There is no beach to speak of at the hotel and to make matters worse the pool area is surrounded by dense shrubbery so while sitting at the pool you can't even see the ocean! We could have been anywhere based on our view from the pool. One great thing about the pool area though is that there is a non-smoking area. There is also plenty of shade.

We also enjoyed all the restaurants at the hotel. We had tried to use one of the packages advertised on the hotel's web site but when my travel agent tried to book it it was unavailable. When she called the hotel to inquire they told her that since the hotel was full they weren't offering any of the packages. I was disappointed to be paying that much for a room and not even have a continental breakfast included in the rate. Clearly we were paying for the view and that's all.

I was a bit surprised that the hotel received such accolades from Fodor's Hawaii. It's a nice hotel but it's not a great hotel.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Halekulani several years ago. I can comment on it but not a recent review. It is a very classy hotel. It has a very small beach. It is close to many shops and dining. It is easy to walk to different hotels from here. We are returning this year, but to the Hilton. We are bringing the kids and want more of a aresort atmosphere(and I am sure noisier too!!) The Halekulani was a lovely hotel and I would recommend a couple going there. But definitely don't expect a spectacular beach.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Halekulani is on the beach, close to the center of Waikiki, not on the edge of Waikiki. It is right next to Sheraton Waikiki. Great location!

Waikiki hotel map:

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_waikiki.html

This The Kahala Mandarin is about 2-3 miles on the other side of Diamond Head. This map shows the location in relation to Waikiki:

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/o...i_makapuu.html

Because you mentioned shopping, dining, sightseeing, the Halekulani may suit you better.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:54 PM

BTW

The Kahala Mandarin was sold a couple weeks ago and soon will be called the Kahala Hotel.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great responses and references.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
here's your other answers
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:27 PM

What about the Royal Hawaiian, which has I think the widest stretch of sand out front? For the record, I haven't stayed there or at the Halekulani or Mandarin.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would chose the Halekulani because of its much more central location. I just love to walk all around in central Waikiki.

Royal Hawaiian has approximately the same width strip of sand out back as all the other hotels, memory serves.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM

My first choice would definitely be the Halekulani in Waikiki, hands down. Drinks and appetizers at the "house without a key" in the Halekulani is not to be missed!

Have a great time!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:49 AM

I have stayed twice at the Halekulani and would want to stay there anytime I might be lucky enough to be on Oahu. Even though you as the guest know you are in the center of Waikiki this hotel is just so discreet that you really are sheltered from the busi-ness of all outside. The staff are very attentive. From your description of the shopping, dining, etc. I think the Halekulani would be just the place. Indeed, though, the beach is tiny. Have dinner at Alan Wong's.