In and around Boston in Sept.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We are two 40-something couples who will be in NYC and Boston in mid-Sept. We like art, history, archi.

I'd like to ask what you'd recommend along those lines in and around Boston. We'll probably already do a Freedom Trail tour, Harvard and the Kennedy Library (anything specific to reco in Harvard?) and Museum of Fine Arts.

If you were to do a day trip out of Boston, or even do a B&B near Boston, where would it be?

If we rent a car in NYC and drive to Boston, would it be easy to park it for just a day or two and what would that cost? Weighing the cost of that vs 4 train tickets.

Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 07:02 PM

I would do the train, very easy and no hassle. We are doing the ferry this trip to Salem for the day. Don't care about the Witch stuff but the maritime museum and shops. Very Close to Marblehead also.
The State house is worth a visit. We are going for the Red Sox but love to explore Charlestown and Bunker hill.
We are staying at the John Jeffries house which was very reasonable and close to public transportation.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 07:14 PM

You won't need a car while in Boston unless you head out of the city. We just spent 2 days in Rockport, Ma which is very lovely. We stayed at Seacrest Manor- host Pat is wonderful. We went whale watching from Gloucester ( outside Rockport) and saw many humpbacks and minkes though bear in mind the sightings get fewer and fewer as the season passes. After Rockport we spent 2 days in Boston (not enough). Wished I had time for the Isabella Gardner Museum!
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 01:33 AM

Parking a car overnight in Boston will be $40-50, since you say you are weighing train cost versus parking costs. It is within the capabilities of most people to drive into Boston - just park car and leave it.

"Near Boston" and commuting into Boston is possible, but just does not work all that well. Distances do not translate into time of commute. If you want a day trip, I would suggest Salem and Peabody Essex Museum or Cape Ann (Gloucester and Essex) - but either just as a day trip, not an overnight.

To avoid geographical confusion - Harvard University is not the same as the town of Harvard (the former is in Cambridge). And JFK Library/Museum is in neither; it is in Dorchester section of Boston and easily reachable by public transit.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 02:39 AM

We have done a mid-September day trip to Concord MA for nice trolley tour and visit to Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House. On second day we visited Fruitlands and a winery. Either is a nice trip.

Salem MA and the Peabody Essex Museum is also a nice trip. Should you drive to Boston, the JFK Library has free parking. For a Boston weekend trip we visit the JFK Library first and then go to hotel and park the car for the weekend.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 11:27 AM

>

"Easy to park in Boston" is not a common phrase. Boston has a LOT of neighborhood-restricted parking (i.e., residents only) and that limits supply a lot. Hotel parking will not be cheap.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 03:52 PM

If you are willing to pay, parking is easy. Self-parking should be $35 or so (the Motor Mart Garage is $31 for 24 hours, for example), more if you valet at a hotel.

Given that the train will be $250+ for 4, it very well may be the cheaper option. It would also make a day trip to somewhere like Salem or Newport, RI (my top two recs) much easier. I would not bother with an overnight nearby, but you could if you wanted.

Note, however, that the drive from NYC can be less than fun. Straightforward, but tedious and the traffic can be a PITA.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 03:55 PM

FWIW, if you wanted to save a bit on parking, try the Kendall Square (Marriott, Residence Inn) or Lechmere (Sonesta, Marlowe) hotels. Both areas are still on the T and pretty convenient, but overnight parking will likely be closer to $20 to $25.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 06:05 PM
cw

I'll second the recommendation of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum--it's near the Museum of Fine Arts. I'd also recommend a tour of the Boston Public Library, http://www.bpl.org/central/tours.htm.

Do you have a hotel already? This would help with parking information. But if you're not using the car after Boston it would be easier to turn it in. See boston.bestparking.com for garage prices.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Boston by Foot has an architecture cruise on weekends. http://www.bostonbyfoot.org/tours/Boat_Cruise

I have not taken it, but I did do their North End tour and was very pleased with it.

Here is their calendar so you can check tours in September. http://www.bostonbyfoot.org/calendar