Going to Boston- Need your help

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Boston- Need your help

My husband and I have decided to take a long weekend trip (3 nights) to Boston. Neither of us have been there before. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the area and all there is to do and see (from what I've researched so far). We do like history, but don't want to just see all of those kind of sites. We love restaurants, shopping, antiques, hiking, wine/beer tasting... a bit of everything. Please suggest your must-see's/do's... the more off-the-beaten-path, the better. We will probably hit some of the more touristy things, but would love to hear some hidden gems, too. Thanks so much! -Karen
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I forgot to mention that we are going at the end of September. Still working on the lodging. Thanks! -Karen
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:00 AM

Many, many posts here on Boston activities and lodging - they will list the usual itineraries.

Something that might interest you would be a day trip to Boston Harbor Islands - website is bostonislands.com

For antiques, you need to get out of Boston - north shore Ipswich, Rowley, Essex area. You would need a car and not sure it is worth it for 3 day trip.

Rather than usual in-Boston history, you might want to try Lexington/Concord trip. Again, car required.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
yk

A long weekend doesn't really give you much time.

Must sees would be
Duck Tour
Freedom Trail

For antiques, check out Charles Street just at the edge of Beacon Hill.

I think you would enjoy Gardners Museum - great art housed in a building based on Palazzo Barbaro in Venice.

Troquet near Boston Common is a wine bar
http://www.troquetboston.com/index.html
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM

Daytrip on the ferry to Provincetown on Cape Cod.

Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem - half hour train ride from North Station.

http://pem.org/homepage/index.php
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

If we stay in and around Boston, it sounds like a car is not necessary. True? I'm assuming we can taxi or something from the airport?

Thanks,
Karen
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:32 AM

If you stay IN Boston a car is not necessary - AROUND Boston, it depends. Be cautious when making reservations - if you find a too good to be true hotel deal in a city of expensive lodging, there is an issue - usually location. Deceptive hotels call themselves things like Boston/Burlington, etc and they are not in Boston and even if close in terms of miles could be a real pain to get to Boston from. Public transit runs much less frequently into Boston on weekends, so keep that in mind.

There is plenty to do in Boston, much walkable and all public-transitable. Your request for "ot the beaten path" is somewhat problematic carless, however, since Boston is a relatively small city in both goegraphy and population - so just about everything is on someones path.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:48 AM
yk

With just 3 days (a long weekend), you'd be MUCH better off staying IN Boston and not have a car.

Getting around Boston is fairly easy. You can easily take public transport (the "T") from Logan Airport into the city.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM

kcscheer77 I grew up in a suburb of Boston and was in and out of "town" weekly as my father (first generation American, his mother and father came over on "the boat" from Italy and he grew up in East Boston) owned a restaurant there. I moved to Maine 25 years ago but my idea of fun would be to spend a weekend here http://www.lacapellasuites.com and get to spend more time in the North End of Boston than I ever have before. Last summer I went to my first feast (Italian festival) in 40 years and had a wonderful time visiting the neighborhood--food, food, food! You said you're traveling in September, perhaps you could catch the September 1 feast. Here's the website: http://www.northendboston.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28

There's no reason the North End couldn't be your base to tour the city.

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Great time of year to see Boston. Wear comfy shoes and layers (it could be 75 degrees or 55 degrees) and walk the Freedom Trail through the City. The "original" Boston Duck Tours are fun, even for native Bostonians! Be sure to take that in. Be sure to miss "Cheers". It's the biggest tourist trap in town. Go the "Bartley's Burger Cottage" in Harvard Square on Mass. Ave (Red line T Stop "Harvard Square") for an incredible burger with lots of interesting people watching. Have fun in this excellent city!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! MUCH appreciated!!!

Karen
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM

oops, wrong site:

http://www.lacappellasuites.com/