Search

If you like Sanibel, you'll like....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM
tyl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you like Sanibel, you'll like....

Went to Sanibel last April and really enjoyed it. Would like to try a different part of FL that has similar feel - low key, not too commercial, nice beaches and family friendly. We would like to travel during Xmas break with our 4 and 6 yr old. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Boca Grande--just north of Sanibel. We haven't been for about 10 years, but the last time we visited it was very quiet with beautiful beaches.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM

We stayed last year in boca grande.Similar to sanibel in that there both upscale islands,but boca is a lot quieter more upscale less commercial and not as touristy.I think thats the way the locals want it.We stayed at a small hotel innlet on the waterfront.Reasonable rates,basic clean accomodations.If its in your budget look at the gasparilla inn,Very old world florida,upscale,gorgeus.Also check out vrbo.com for condo rentals thats what most accomadations are on the island.Also rent a golf cart to get around.Lots of fun.Enjoy.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:32 AM

Anna Maria Island fits your description perfectly - low key, family friendly, beautiful beaches. In fact I'd say Anna Maria Island's beaches are nicer than Sanibels (and I am a real Sanibel lover). It's north of Sarasota and south of Tampa. I went to high school in the area and always loved it, and my husband and I have vacationed there. It's just quiet, relaxing, good food, great beaches.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 05:42 AM

Birder beat me to the punch. Anna Maria Island is similar to Sanibel and very nice. The easier way to get there is to cross the bridge from Bradenton.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:04 AM

Try the beaches of south Walton, between Panama City and Destin, on 30A in the panhandle. No high rises, very little commercialization, quaint, and classy. Go here for more info:

http://beachesofsouthwalton.com/

http://sowal.com/

Be sure to click on the photos on the sowal.com site.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM

Galveston Island, Texas. Beautiful beaches with good shelling, great seafood and warm, welcoming citizens.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 03:52 AM
tyl
Original Poster

Looks like the beaches of South Walton fits our bill. Now we're trying to decide which town and I think I've narrowed it down to Seaside or Watercolor. Can anyone advise what are the major differences between the two. Both look very nice. Also, doesn't look like it's too warm there at the end of Dec., so now we're considering going during spring break in Apr. Don't need it to be super warm, just enough for kids to go knee deep in water at the beach. Thanks!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:22 AM

Seaside and Watercolor are side by side. Other than the change in architecture you really can't tell where one ends and the other begins. That said I would opt for Watercolor for the amenities. Anyone staying in in Watercolor has full access to the pools at the Watercolor Inn. Also, guests get a bicycle for the length of their stay as well as the use of canoes and kayaks for the lake-all complimentary.

The water will be cold in December (but the rates will be good!) If you can come the middle or end of April, I would recommend that. The weather should be perfect and the water should be warm enough for swimming. I see people swimming the middle of March but I would never do it!

Also, FYI, the prime spring break season is in March for this area so if you are coming in April, the crowds should be thinner-although, quite frankly, even at their most crowded, the south Walton beaches would never be considered crowded!

Let me know if you have any more questions and have a great time!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:56 AM

Amelia Island.