Search

Sanibel Exposed!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Boomer

Sanibel Exposed!

I think the record needs to be set straight on Sanibel. I am a frequent traveler to Florida and answer many questions from co workers regarding travel. I thought I am the most qualified to do it.

Sanibel is a pretty area with warm weather. Captiva is right next door and it is chocolate and vanilla about which is nicer.

If you want to find shells go to Sanibel. If you feel like lounging on the beach, swimming in the ocean or taking long walks down the shore than there are better places than this. There are too many shells on the sand to make it enjoyable! Who wants to wear booties on the beach? If you have to wear those than you may as well put on a thong for the full effect.

Do you want to take a step, ouch, step, step, ouch??

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Franklin

Totally agree. Why this doesn't get reported more is beyond me. I prefer the Atlantic Coast for beach activities.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:21 PM
c

Since you know sanibel well, can you recommend some places to stay. I have free air fare there end of February for 5 nights.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Boomer

Some people like the South Seas Plantation on the neighboring Captiva Island. Most folks go the route of renting a condo.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Hmmm...

Thanks so much Boomer. I was completely unaware that there were shells on Sanibel Island, even though it is world renowned for its washed ashore treasures.
And because there are shells on the beaches, that makes the beaches worthless.
Hey Boomer- Sanibel is what it is: absolutely beautiful (beaches included) with lovely people and great restaurants and lodging. And better off without a grouch like you lazing around the shore. As people laugh at your "booties" on the beach.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:11 PM
howitzer

i remember my dad taking us to sanibel on a camping trip in 1969.
it was winter and very cold. there was no intention to lounge on the beach or go swimming. this was a nature trip and i remember it as being beautiful. hope it hasnt lost its charm.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:17 PM
OliveOyl

Odd, we live in FL and have been to Sanibel 4 or 5 times, yet never once have I had a problem walking on the beach. I *do* make a point of not walking along the high tide shell line...sort of a no brainer!

I take that back...one of our trips followed closely on the heels of a storm and Bowman Beach was littered with broken prickly pear cactus, of all things. Now *that* was treacherous!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:20 PM
mom

We used to rent at the condos, Seashells of Sanibel when our kids were small. They have tennis and a pool and are right across the street from the Gulf.
There are many seashells and you can end up with a back or neck ache from all the walking and bending and looking and picking!
There are too many restaurants on Sanibel.
There is good fishing off of the pier.
It is really boring so it is a wonderful place to go to just unwind.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Cindy

Nobody has mentioned the BEST THING ABOUT SANIBEL - the birds!!! They're awesome!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:08 PM
becky

I grew up spending two separate weeks in Sanibel/Captiva every summer, one in Sanibel and one in Captiva. First of all, there's nothing painful about walking along the beaches. Just walk below the shell line (duh!) I recommend renting or chartering a boat and going fishing while you're there. Getting out on the water is one of the best parts of vacationing in the area, as there is wonderful wildlife and other small islands to explore by boat. South Seas Plantation on Captiva is my vote for best place to stay. Casa Ybel on Sanibel is nice, too. Sanibel/Captiva really captures the essense of "old Florida." Have fun!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:09 PM
becky

I grew up spending two separate weeks in Sanibel/Captiva every summer, one in Sanibel and one in Captiva. First of all, there's nothing painful about walking along the beaches. Just walk below the shell line (duh!) I recommend renting or chartering a boat and going fishing while you're there. Getting out on the water is one of the best parts of vacationing in the area, as there is wonderful wildlife and other small islands to explore by boat. South Seas Plantation on Captiva is my vote for best place to stay. Casa Ybel on Sanibel is nice, too. Sanibel/Captiva really captures the essence of "old Florida." Have fun!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Max

I have been to the Sanibel/Captiva area once. I will not return. The beaches were not fun---you had to lookd down all the time so you don't step on half a shell cut your foot and have to go the ER. I looked down so much that I nearly missed a sunset (an exaggeration but you get my drift). I also did not like that were few oceanside drives to enjoy views. I will continue to go elsewhere.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Bobo

I have been there and agree with the above that the beaches are over rated because of too many shells. Some say it is romantic but it is a big pain in the butt to keep walking over those when you were expecting a sandy beach. I have never gone back there.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:42 PM
xxx

Me thinks someONE here has a grudge. These "too shelly beach" posts are crazy. Toopid. Fishy. The beach is beautiful and so are the islands.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Bobo

Hey xxx (nice name by the way) didn't you expect a SANDY BEACH when you decided to go to Sanibel? Most people don't think you run an obstascle course from the resort to the water's 3edge. Is there a conspiracy against reporting this?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:49 PM
ga

I've never bee to Sanibel but spent a long weekend on nearby Marco Island a couple of years ago. The shells were horrid. You could not walk on the beach without shoes or sandals. I'll never go back.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:25 PM
sandie

My husband and myself had heard so much about Sanibel/Captiva. When we visited florida it was always "it is like stepping into a different world, and oh how beautiful it was and "Oh you just have to visit there" etc. Not sure if we heard to much hype about it prior to going, but I was very dissapointed. I failed to see the attraction. It was June, and very quiet. I think it would be nice for a family vacation. Other than that I have no desire to return. We did walk on the beach but I am not real big on "shelling" either. I found it all boring. We ate at a nice restaurant called the Mucky Duck. There was a nice sunset. The food was o.k. the people friendly. I would prefer Key West to be honest.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Richard

I would agree with Sandie, boring place, but that might be what you are looking for.

The beaches are not nearly as nice as Miami. You can get the same scenery on Key Biscayne south of Miami.

Or go to the Key West, all depends what you are looking for.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:25 PM
xxx

Bobo, The beach was sandy - where were you?! White sand, not brown like Miami.

Mucky Duck is horrid and that is my one and only disappointment with Sanibel. Universally mediocre food, at best.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:12 PM
HAHAHA

Yeah, Sanibel is HORRIBLE! It's AWFUL!DON'T GO! Go anywhere else you mobs of people!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -