Ideas for trip to US mid-April - mid May 2009

Old Aug 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Ideas for trip to US mid-April - mid May 2009

I am feeling a bit down at the moment as due to circumstances I haven't been able to plan any overseas travel, but today I am thinking, I can plan anyway even if it may not come off.

DD and SIL are moving to NYC in October this year, DH and I are thinking that we will go visit them mid April next year, for about two weeks. We were hoping we could actually stay with them but looks like they are going to rent a studio apartment so may not be any room for us!!! This may limit the time we stay in NYC as the cost of accommodation may be too expensive for us to stay there too long.

During this two weeks we could do some day trips maybe to Boston and Philadelphia. Also want to explore more of New York city itself. We did a lot of the usual touristy things on our trip two years ago.

We would probably fly into San Francisco and spend three days or so there at the beginning. Would like to go to Sausalito on the ferry, Golden Gate park, thinking Yosemite but it's a long bus trip if you do a tour. Did Alcatraz, Muir Woods last time.

Can't decide whether to stay on the East Coast or fly back to the West Coast and do a drive say from SF to LA along the Coast. Maybe go to San Diego, it sounds like a great place to visit. We did Sea World previously but didn't see anything of San Diego itself.

All suggestions welcome.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you mean April 2010?

I do know what you mean about getting in a funk when not planning trips... I think there might be something *wrong with me...as I get the same way. I was in the BEST mood the other day after we were able to plan an unexpected trip to Hawaii with miles and our timeshare - dh said "boy, so you just need a trip to stay in a good mood eh?" You would think after 15 years he might know? :-?

Anyway - I digress...

Well, There world is your oyster! I would say San Diego always gets my vote. You can fly home from here and it is closer no?
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Yes I did mean 2010, see I'm not thinking straight. Now I can't go back and edit the title, very sad

We could probably fly back from New York maybe with a stopover in Hawaii, that could be a plan.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM

I am sure people will figure it out - or just repost?
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Have started a new thread with the correct date, Thanks Mom DD.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Philly is fine for a day trip from NYC - Boston is too far - 4 hours no matter how you do it (car, bus train to plane) and 8 hours on the road doesn't really give you much time there at all. You need at least one overnight to see anything - preferably 2. Also realize that while May will be fine April can still be cold/snowy in Boston - and in NYC is early spring (no leaves on the trees etc).

Hotel rates then should still be fairly reasonable - with some good deals avaiable on travelzoo and priceline (but not until about 4 months out).
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks nytraveller, maybe I should consider leaving beginning of May rather than mid-April. An overnight in Boston would be a good idea. Is the train the best method of travel?
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Any more suggestions?