Search

Ideas for Outer banks - Food, Things to Do

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for Outer banks - Food, Things to Do

Hello Fodor Travelers,

My husband and I are going to the Outer Banks and staying in Kitty Hawk. Any ideas on places for dinner/ lunch. Things to do? Want to see the highlights of surrounding areas. Thank you.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 04:51 AM

http://www.weepingradish.com/

Yes, the beer is great (Duh, it's Weeping Radish!) but so is the all-organic pub food.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:44 AM
cd

Take a day trip to Ocracoke Island. Drive to Hatteras and take the free car ferry to Ocracoke. After departing the ferry in Ocracoke, stop at Howard's Pub on your right hand side for a bite of lunch, and then continue on....
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Manteo is a sweet little town, very southern and it has a fairly invested arts community. There is a bike trail that runs the loop of Roanoke Island. (you mentioned bikes in your other post) Elizabethan Gardens is lovely if gardening is your thing. 1587 Restaurant is well worth a visit.

Hatteras National Seashore is beautiful. Wide swept beaches, great bird watching, lighthouses. Stop at Sam N Omies for lunch. It's on the beach road in south Nags Head.

Ocean Blvd Bistro in Kitty Hawk is excellent. Blue Point in Duck is also.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:55 AM
cd

Awful Arthur Oyster Bar! Sit upstairs for a great ocean view. http://www.awfularthursobx.com/ We found the food to be very, very good.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Wow - thank you! I posed last night and got 0 repsonses. I was getting worried we chose the wrong vacation spot. Bardo, The beer place sounds tood. My husband will like it. Yes, OBXgirl - we want to ride bikes! CD, We will take the trip to Ocracoke and the others. Lastly..My husband will like the oyster bar too!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM

I wrote this guide last year for a website: http://therealouterbanks.com/outer-b...ant-guide.html

I still highly recommend Elizabeth's Cafe & Winery - featured lunch this year too! Dinner is outstanding. A few weeks ago I had dinner at Rundown Cafe and it was amazing as ever - ate upstairs at the bar w/ a beautiful ocean view.

Highlights of surrounding areas include Manteo as OBXgirl suggested - Festival Park, Elizabethan Gardens, new Island Farm this year, Lost Colony, aquarium, etc. all on Roanoke Island.

I second the ferry to Ocracoke, which I love. Have done that many times with terrific memories of renting tandem bikes. Another great one is the free ferry in Currituck to Knott's Island. You can pick local fruit, or visit local wineries for wine tastings.

KDH has the Wright Bros. monument and museum. Behind Aycock Brown Welcome center (mile post 1) in Kitty Hawk has the Century of Flight monument.

At least once during your visit you should wake up early to watch the sunrise on the beach - absolutely breathtaking. You will see the sky change literally every second.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Oh and another thing - once you get there go to any grocery store - Harris Teeter, Food Lion or even outside Walmart, etc. and there will be a lot of local publications. Pick these up for ads mentioning the places above, but espeically coupons!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

mystinamarie, THANK YOU!

I have gone to the website - Wonderful. We want to bike ride, the tandem bike sounds fun.

I will investigate Knott's Island.

We love to dine out, so I am going with your recommendations.

Thank you!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 01:51 PM

you're welcome, glad I could help!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM

heres a pretty exhaustive link for places to eat. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/360...s;results_list .Ive gone there to fish in the surf,which sept is great time.There are guides there wholl set you up--its pretty exhiliarting to catch a 15 lb bluefish in the surf.Lots of outdoorsy things to do.Have fun
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 04:18 AM

We have been vacationing on the Outer Banks for over 30 years. Manteo is always a favorite of ours. If you have an interest in the history of the area, you should definitely visit the site of the Lost Colony (make sure that you view the film in the Visitors Center) along with the other places mentioned by mystinamarie.

The trip to Hatteras and Ocracoke are terrific, but it is a long trip and will take a whole day from your stay on the OBX.

You can also drive north beyond Duck to the Corolla area to see the lighthouse (and, if you are energetic, climb to the top). Adjacent to the lighthouse is the Whale Head Club, an old mansion that is currently being restored. It has a very interesting history. You can tour the mansion to get a sense of what the OBX was like when there were many duck hunting clubs on the OBX that were frequented by the wealthy.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Read the "Outer Banks" by Anne Rivers Siddons. She's my fav author.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.

Bigbomoho - Wow - that is a list. Thanks for the link.

TakemeAlong - Thaks, Planned on going to the Lighthouse...The mansion tour sounds interesting.

Peace out - Will ck it out.