Any ideas on dinner in Nanaimo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be stopping overnight in Nanaimo enroute to Tofino after a long flight . Any suggestions for a good meal, seafood preferred, need not be fancy. Is Dinghy Dock Marine Pub a good choice? Sounds interesting. I want to try a Nanaimo bar of course! This forum is wonderful, thanks
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:26 PM

Had an outstanding <i>(if somewhat hurried)</i> dinner @ Acme earlier in the week.

The Oysters in particular were stellar -as was the service.

http://www.acmefoodco.ca/
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM

There is also the Longwood Brew Pub, in North Nanaimo. Good food and they brew thier own beer.
Where are you staying in Nanaimo?
What kind of bar are you referring to, one that is like a neighbour hood bar, which is what the Dinghy Dock would be like, or one with live music etc.?
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. We will be staying at the Ramada Inn. Pub food is not necessarily what we are looking for but would be ok, just a nice relaxed seafood meal in a fairly quiet atmosphere. We will have had a long day of travel & will just need to re charge our batteries before heading to Tofino the next day.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Nauticals is on the water, close to the ferry and where you are staying. It is nothing fancy but has an extensive seafood menu. I ate there once, but dont like seafood but everyone I was with loved it.
The Lighthouse Bistro is on the waterfront too, close by the Ramada, and better ambiance
http://www.lighthouse-bistro.com/new...menu%20new.pdf

Muddy Waters is beside Millers Pub. You could check out both. They are near the ferry too, on the water

The thing about the Dinghy dock is that it is on another island. You have to take a little ferry to Protection Island and then take the ferry back.
Given that you will be tired and short of time, I would choose something actually in Nanaimo where you can drive.

Nanaimo Bars are easily bought at every grocery store on the island, you dont need to get it at a resteraunt if you dont want to. They are really good, but REALLY rich.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

liv42day, you are so helpful!!! Thanks, we will go with one of your suggestions. I have made Nanaimo bars in my own kitchen but want to have the real deal and not just the grocery store variety. Your part of the world is so beautiful!