Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fly into Bellingham. Victoria or Vancouver? Tofino or Ucluet?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is crazy to be planning sooo last minute! Any & all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We're a couple in our early 50's & it's a 30th anniversary.
We fly into Bellingham next week- Aug 14th. My original plan was to take my husband into western Washington state & focus on the ONP area ( rainforests, beaches etc.) Then thanks to some helpful advice from here I found that there aren't many upscale lodging/dining options. My husband is very particular & does not like roughing it.
Then I thought Victoria would be a good option with a trip up to Tofino area. I don't have a clue about location, ferries, driving times etc. So far I figured we'd spend 1 nite in Bellingham area. We arrive in 4:30 pm & check out the area. Following day we take the ferry to Victoria (Sydney) & spend 3 nites there after which we drive up to Tofino/Ucluet?
Of course I have no clue about hotels, restaurants, Waits for ferries? Is Vancouver a better option. I know I am sounding panicky. Yep, I am!!
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention we're going for 7 days. Thank you!
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM

wow, i'm surprised you haven't made your reservations yet for tofino since you posted quite a few days ago about this!!!

you need to make ferry reservations for the ferry from anacortes to sidney--with an i not a y. that's washington state ferries, and it goes 2x per day. or, you can cross the border into bc and take the tsawwassen/swartz bay ferry that goes every hour--bc ferries. that also should be reserved.

i personally think 3 nights for victoria is too much. if you don't have at least 3 nights to spend in tofino, then i wouldn't go. and you'll need to be back on the mainland, preferably in WA, on the night before your flight--you don't want to be taking a ferry or even crossing a border the same day as your flight, imo. so i think you've run out of nights to be able to spend 3 up in tofino--in which case, yes, vancouver would be better.

if you do decide to cut a night from victoria and go to tofino, contact the tourism tofino board--they have a service that helps with last minute reservations. then post back with the choices--if any.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

I'm a lousy planner. We were supposed to go Aug.3rd but my husband had to cancel because of business travel & I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to do this trip. So now it's rescheduled but we're down to the wire.
Thanks for the tip about Victoria. The main reason I'm including it is because I know my husband will enjoy the upscale restaurants, hotels, tea etc. Sounds pretty but very touristy (& crowded).
Do you think Ucluet is worth driving to or should we stick with Tofino? I checked out the Wickaninnish Inn & it's quite impressive but serious bucks! Any other recommendations for lodging?
Thanks again!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Try the Black Rock Resort in Ucluelet. It's a new upscale complex
that may have room. The resto is supposed to be good.

Ucluelet is only a 30 minute drive from Tofino.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM

I think the Wick is over rated. If you want an upscale place on the beach in Tofino try
Long Beach Lodge, which I like better and not quite as pricey.
Or black rock as mentioned above if you cant find space in Tofino.

Or, http://www.naturalelementsrentals.com/vacation-rentals

he has rentals in both places and may have a vacancy.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM

http://www.flyorcaair.com/schedule-victoria.php

look at this airline which will cut down some time for you too.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 07:32 AM

vancouver has better hotels and restaurants imo than victoria, if that's what you're after.

as someone else posted, ucluelet and tofino are basically in the same place so it's really a matter of where you can find availability. in addition to long beach lodge and black rock previously mentioned, pacific sands is another higher end place. i also really like the single cabins at middle beach lodge but while it's a nice place it's more rustic elegance, not over the top luxe like the wick--it's much more laid back as well in terms of service. but it's really going to come down to who has room.

what hotel did you book in victoria?