Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ideas for good deals on 5 star hotels in Hawaii

Mar 14th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Mike

Hi,

We are looking to book the Four Seasons for 7 nights each on both Maui and the Big Island. I'm wondering if there are any reputable websites or tour companies that might have a really great deals on packages. My travel agent has recommended packages using Classic Hawaii or Pleasant Hawaiian but both seem extremely pricey and it leaves me to wonder if it's the best deal for me or for her.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Mar 14th, 2001, 07:17 PM
annemarie

I really doubt you would be able to get a good "deal" on such a property. Now, have you actually phoned the hotel direct and asked for their varying rates...not, of course, accepting the first one they offer? The other option might be to take a mountainview room to save on cost.

Mar 14th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Carrie

Hi! We stayed at the Four Seasons Maui on our honeymoon last summer-fabulous! We booked with Classic Custom Vacations through the travel agent, and we were extremely pleased with the package's flexibility and service! I have recommended this package to other friends. . .good luck and have fun! It's gorgeous! I don't know about the "good deal" part, but the service was excellent!

Mar 15th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Jennifer

Hi Mike,

I would also agree with AnneMarie about the Four Seasons - finding a deal on a hotel with such high rack rates will be hard. I've used Pleasant Hawaiian before and had a great expreience, no problems with the flight, car or accomodations. However, when we booked this year I decided to try

Mar 15th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Jennifer

Hi Mike,

I would also agree with AnneMarie about the Four Seasons - finding a deal on a hotel with such high rack rates will be hard. I've used Pleasant Hawaiian before and had a great expreience, no problems with the flight, car or accomodations (stayed at a 3 star condo). So when we booked for Maui I this year, I contacted them for four and five star hotel requests. I also contacted American Airlines Vacations with the hope that I might be able to use my frequent flier miles. Turned out that identical American Airlines and Pleasant Hawaiian prices were pretty much the same, but American offered more flexibility on air travel. Pleasant Hawaiian will book you on their charter, which may mean a lower airfare, but if you can't take one of the charters due to your schedule, they'll book you on a commercial carrier which may end up costing more. When I compared only the hotel portions of the packages, Pleasant Hawaiian's pricing was sometimes higher than American's. Go figure! Anyways, I would suggest that you start planning early and do some major price comparisons between travel providers.

Mar 16th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Trolldetector

Try posting a phoney message on this forum. Sorry, I forgot, you already have, Travel Agent.

Mar 16th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Mike

Troll Detecter.........

You are an IDIOT!

Mar 16th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Mike

I want to thank such helpful people as Annemarie, Carrie and Jennifer for their input.

In case anyone is looking to book a Hawaii trip, I thought I'd pass on my findings. I was able to get a better deal going through AA Vacations online. It saved us roughly $500 plus we got a mileage bonus by booking online.

Aloha!

Mar 29th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Lori

If you are flexible on hotels, Starwood Resorts owns a bunch of good ones and if you have a Starwood Preferred Guest card, you get 35% off stay and other activities too. We are doing (Manele Bay on Lanai and The Orchid on the Big Island). I did a bit of research and got 35% off rates...saved over $2K on our trip...well worth it.

Mar 30th, 2001, 10:06 AM
juli

You might call some of the properties directly. I know Mauna Kea on the Big Island (which I'd take over the four seasons, but that's an unsolicited opinion!!) has a fourth night free deal, as does Manele Bay, but you have to ask. Pleasant Hawaiian seems to get good reviews.

Mar 30th, 2001, 10:08 AM
juli

Lori, if I can ask, how did you get the Manele Bay deal--through Starwood, or just with their discount card?

Mar 31st, 2001, 08:17 AM
KT

Juli:

I am not Lori, but I have the Starwood offer in front of me. It is 35% off rooms, food, selected activities and up to 35% off Avis car rentals. The rate is for Starwood Preferred Guests and is it plan SPG35HI. Reservations are at 1-800-782-9488 and you need to provide your Starwood Presferred Guest number. It is good for travel through 12/25/01.

In addition, they are offering a fifth night free for ocean or suite categories for travel between 3/1 and 5/31. That is rate plan SPG355N.

If you are not a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest you can sign up online, which I did before my last trip to Hawaii.They give you a number immediately.

It appears this offer is for all of the Sheraton Hotels in Hawaii.

Good Luck
KT

Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:11 PM
lori

Just call the reservations number and they have all info. The info. posted earlier with codes is exactly what I received! Good luck--

Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:17 PM
Karen

lori, thank you so much for sharing that Starwood info. I called and sure enough the plan # is available for the Princeville. I was trying to figure out a way to justify staying there and now I think I have it. My only concern is being in Kauai Nov. 3-6, what's my chances of being rained out there.

Anyway, thanks heaps!

Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:23 PM
Karen

Whoops! Sorry lori, I need to thank KT too. KT provided the plan #. This is fantastic, thank you so much.

Your opinion about it raining us out would be appreciated.

Apr 18th, 2001, 06:45 PM
ldsant

WARNING: Re: Starwood. Folks, they have been NOT honoring this promotion (at least at the Orchid on the Big Island). I am a Starwood Gold, received this same mailer. Had made reservations over 7 weeks ago - asked about this. They are not giving it. Said I had to really read the fine print. I am getting the fifth night free, but nothing off the room and no food, car, etc. discounts. I would STRONGLY recommend you check other properties first. I am a bit upset with Starwood right now, but I think that if you offer something you should honor it. They're not.

Apr 19th, 2001, 05:55 AM
lori

When I called Starwood directly, they
honored it. I wound up booking with 4S instead b/c I heard that is the best place to be, but Starwood did hold a reservation for me with 35% off.

Apr 24th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Roy

Watch out about good reviews on aol message boards about Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays.SOME of these travel GURUS are getting considerations from pleasant hawaiian holidays for reccommending PHH to people.I know that SOME of these people get taken care of with free or reduced air and hotel packages.This is wide spread with PHH.
Roy

Sep 16th, 2004, 05:19 PM

For Ashley24: Here's a thread on the 35% Starwood discount... it's an old thread however.
Sep 17th, 2004, 01:25 AM

I was able to get 35% off at the Princeville in May but now the receptionist on the phone is acting like this discount never existed. I think I will try calling again and see if another worker would be more helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO