Ideas for Appropriate Gift

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for Appropriate Gift

I am visiting USA from Australia in June. In advance of the trip I have emailed people who have gone to some trouble to assist me with information and in one instance arrange top seats for a concert. Because they are from small towns in the South I will actually be able to thank these people in person. Do you have any suggestions on what would be a small unique gift that I could give them from Australia.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Hello Graeme, are these people friends or people that are in the business to help travellers with their reservations and assistance?

If the latter a thank you card with money as a tip would be the acceptable "thank you" along with a letter to their boss or headquarters commenting on the good service that you received from them.

If friends I can tell you that I received a beautiful scarf from Australian friends that I met through Fodor's and spent the day with in SF. Although completely unexpected I was truly overjoyed to receive a beautiful scarf that they had brought me from Australia. It was silk screened with Aboriginal art. I get compliments on it every time I wear it which is often.

But I do think from your post that you are talking about people that have helped you in a commercial sense and if so I strongly suggest what I posted above.

In any case, welcome to the US along with wishes for a beautiful time here.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Small crystal kangaroos

Chocolate Bilbys (If they are still available after Easter)

Probably not Vegemite. I think it is an acquired taste.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree Vegemite is an acquired taste that I am still working on myself.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM

I met an Australian couple on a hiking trip in the Andes. When they heard it was my birthday the man gave me his frilled lizard cap. It was in shades of blue & green & was decorated with aborignal patterns.

As a rule I do not wear ball caps. But I wear this one. I love that cap. I will never part with it.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:17 AM

I think it is a lovely idea that you are planning to give your contacts in the US an Australian gift and you obviously are giving it a lot of thought. I would suggest you give something that a person can wear or use rather than a food item. (You can be sure that they are going to want to show off this gift from Australia!)
My friends and family here in the States received a lot of Australian gifts from us during the time we lived there. We tended to buy things with Aboriginal designs because they were tasteful and representative of the country. Our male friends/relatives received neckties with Aboriginal designs and I think the idea of scarves with Aboriginal designs for women is a good one (even though I am not a scarf-wearer). You could also try a set of coasters with Aboriginal designs (or those coasters made with eucalyptus leaves, but the recipient may not know what those are). I used to live near the Mint in Canberra and found nice keychains there made with unusual Australian coins, so perhaps you could find something similar where you live.
Hope these ideas are helpful.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:52 AM
TC

Items of clothing are such a matter of personal taste that I think it a bit risky. I do love the idea of coasters or placemats or the like. Something one could use, but wouldn't have to wear. I bought lovely notes cards and stationary with Aboriginal designs when we traveled to AU. We also brought back wonderful Australian wine, but that's not so easy anymore with all the liquid restrictions whilst flying.

Our favorite item was a beautiful boomerang. Not the touristy kind, but a lovely wooden sports variety that really flies well. It is definately a traditional gift, makes a lovely addition to a coffee table or shelf (and gets lots of comments from guests), is a ton of fun to fly, not too expensive and easy to transport on a flight. You are most kind to think of thanking your hosts in this way. Good luck.

Examples:
http://www.boomerangshack.com/returning_aussie.htm
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:54 AM

I think a pair of tickets to the Australian Open would be nice.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 07:00 AM
TC

The boomerange that we brought back was the "hand burnt" design, more like these, but it is a more traditional shape. The art is so beautiful. You can most probably find similar for a lot less money to bring as gifts. As I recall, ours wasn't terribly expensive.

http://www.boomerangshack.com/cgi-bi...oomerangs.html
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:16 AM

You have some great (and unique) candies there so I would go with that (love those cherry ripes)....