engagement rings & Europeans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this isn't directly travel related, but I also know a lot of Europeans read this board so I'm asking for advice. Do Europeans (especially Eastern Europeans) use engagement rings as we do in the US or do they typically just have wedding bands? If there are engagement rings, is the norm a diamond as in the US or is it a colored stone like a sapphire or emerald? My son is looking for a ring for a Lithuanian girl. He doesn't have much money, but would like to buy something simple that is nice and is appropriate. If you can't answer the question, can you at least give us ideas where to search for an answer (perhaps a web-site forum). Thanks so much.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:26 AM

I don't know about Lithuania, but we certainly have engagement rings in Scotland.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:59 AM

Well I married a Lithuanian and in his family the women wear engagement rings (usually on the right hand which for some reason is customary in parts of Europe). The rings are of whatever the couple likes, diamonds, rubies etc. However, many Lithuanian women wear an amber ring, which luckily for your son, aren't very expensive. If he wants to give her a more valuable stone, that's fine, he can give her some other amber jewlery for a wedding gift, like my husband did for me. All Lithuanian brides should wear or receive amber for their wedding.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:43 AM

We Lithuanian women like diamonds. Amber is nice but diamonds are better.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:54 AM

I do not know if this is the case or not has to why the engagement ring is being worn on the right hand instead of the left but do know that Russian Orthodoxs wear there engagement and weddding rings on their right hand.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM

i think they are more relaxed and flexible about the engagement ring in europe.

what is that annoying "rule" that debeers has pounded into every scared american young man who wants to pop the question? ...it has to be a diamond and you have to spend at least two month's salary or her friends and family will "talk". personally i think this is dispicable.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:18 PM

My dear, diamonds are always a girl's best friend. If he can't afford them, then he can't afford them so it's hard to suggest an alternative without any idea of your budget.

Perhaps you could buy the ring on his behalf as part of the wedding present?
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Now don't get mad at me, but maybe he should ask the girl.

In the UK, diamonds alone or with colored stones are the norm. Remember Princess Diana's ring?
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:32 PM

Do not agree Barbara about the UK. I have a saffire ring and many of my friends had rings that did not include diamonds.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:34 PM

I think its great your son is trying to get a ring that is culturally meaningful...has he asked the girl what she would like. I had a very definite idea about what I wanted, although I wanted it to be a surprise. So my hubby asked my friends, and I made a point of mentioning things so that he would know what to look for (ie square cut over round cut) Maybe he could try asking her friends or mom what she would like as well!
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 12:13 AM

I got engaged in Paris and immediately bought the diamond ring. It certainly sealed the deal. We went later to buy the wedding bands together.

Years before that I asked a girl from the office for a date. She declined. She said she was married and showed me her rings -- on her right hand. She was from Germany.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:06 AM

In Belgium usually people have engagement rings, usually including one or more stones, be it diamonds or others (according to taste and budget), though diamonds are pretty common.
If he wants to give his girlfriend a diamond ring, I guess he could get it a lot cheaper in Lithuania than in the US.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:27 AM

I can't help you with any stone advice, Julies, but here's something else to consider: Before I got engaged, my husband/then BF, took me to try on rings--not only to get an idea of what we both liked but also what looked good on my hand. What I orginally thought I wanted looked too delicate on my short, stubby finger. I tried on a bunch of different styled rings and later on, he went from there, surprising me with the proposal.

Obviously, I knew we were headed in that direction but the timing of WHEN he asked and HOW he asked was a complete and utter surprise
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Diamonds are not always GIRLS Best FRIENDS...
I never felt any joy , ecstacy or happiness looking at a Diamond, and always felt like I was looking at a piece of glass..Never wanted one, Never..

Give me EMERALDS any day..
I will experience then will feel joy, ecstacy and Happiness..
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Oops OMIT Experience..My finger was to fast..
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all the helpful comments. It seems as though right now in the US the standard seems to be the bigger the diamond rock the better and for many people that is the expectation. I personally don't agree with this notion and know that not all cultures have the same viewpoints in regards to ideas that we might tend to accept as the norm. In addition, it has been my observation that since those in the US and western Europe have had a higher standard of living for the past fifty years than those in the formerly Communist countries perhaps our expectations are different.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 09:24 AM

I like buying jewellery at auction. Houses like Christies and Sotheby's have a great selection of not too expensive rings and other jewellery, wether diamond or other precious stones. I've picked up some very good deals there. I'm sure there must be an auction house near you that does this. And an antique ring can be very interesting. The art deco period (1920s and 1930s) has some particularly nice jewellery.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 06:13 PM

An office friend is married to a woman of German extraction. We had the right-hand/ left-hand ring discussion last week.

He wears his wedding ring on the right hand ("European-style&quot sometimes -- and sometimes not at all. Says it is not his job to advertise his marital status to the curious.

BTW: Did I mention he looks like a Calvin Klein underwear model??

Bottom line: People in North America should follow NA customs and not to do so is pretty suspicious -- you're fooling around or, as I suspect in this case, you're in denial.