ICA in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICA in Boston

Hi fellow Bostonians -

Husband and I recently moved back to the greater Boston area after being away for a decade. We want to visit the ICA this weekend to catch the Louise Bourgeois show before it closes.

What I want to know is about the parking situation there. The ICA website states that it doesn't have its own garage, but there're surrounding parking lots. Any idea how much it is (for a weekend)? Is there street parking? If there's street parking, maybe we'll go on Sunday instead, assuming the meters will be free?

Also, how's the Water Cafe there? I'm not sure if we'll have lunch at the museum or not. Is there anything nearby we can go for brunch/lunch?

Any tips on the ICA would be much appreciated as we haven't been there yet!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:11 PM

As a (suburban) Bostonian, I am embarrassed by their website!! To tell you that there is parking "nearby" is ridiculous. I would call and ask for the address of the "nearby" garages as well as using google maps or other services...

Their site reminds me of when we moved to Cambridge, lo those many years ago, and could only identify what street we were on by looking at bldgs on the street in question w/names like "Hampshire Spa"--the old Boston term for a variety store---b/c there were no street signs anywhere. That way we would at least know that we were on Hampshire Street!
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM
yk
Original Poster

top-

anyone else?
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 01:01 PM

There are quite a few parking lots within very easy walking distance and there is some on street parking nearby as well.

Unfortunately, I don't know the cost of the lots but if you get there fairly early on Sunday I'm sure you'd be able to park on the street. Haven't been to the Water cafe either, sorry.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Seaport Convention Center is very close to ICA. According to their website, the homne Show is there this weekend - that sort of thing usually draws huge crowds, so beware. I think that would largely rule out getting a street parking space, and with bad weather predicted for Fri-Sat, it is not going to get any better.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
TKT

I found that setting and food at Water Cafe to be bland. A couple of nearby places are Lucky's Lounge
and LTK, both about a 10 minute walk from the ICA.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
yk
Original Poster

Hey all - Thanks for your input. We went yesterday and ended up taking public transportation. There are in fact many lots very nearby the ICA and they charge around $10 or $11 all-day. Not sure if it's cheaper when there aren't any shows at the Convention Center. There are some street parking but not much, and of course all spots were taken by the time we arrived on Sunday afternoon.

We decided not to eat at the Water Cafe. Instead we ate at Eastern Pier II (Chinese) which is close by. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and it's got a nice view.