Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I was thinking about moving to Las Vegas..any suggestions where??what area??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:05 PM
AmyL

I want to move to Las Vegas.. I would be moving by myself... Any suggestions???what part of town etc??? I live in Ny

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:14 PM
NYer

That is a coincidence! Tonight my husband and I were discussing the same thing! Just thinking about facing another cold winter and sleet/snow makes me depressed. I will be interested in what people have to say also.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Big Sister

My younger sister has decided to go to UNLV. We both think that Las Vegas may attract some seedy types so we would like to find an apartment for her in a decent neighborhood. We've been really surprised at how low rent is, so if anyone can answer this thread for us we'd appreciate it!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:30 PM
jan

I moved from Vegas 3 yrs. ago and the nicer apts. were on the far west side toward Red Rock Canyon and also in Summerland. Lots of condo types. Of course Vegas changes so fast may be a better area now.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:59 AM
gamblin

Las Vegas has families and schools and read neighborhoods just like every other town. I would think that they would have seedy areas just like NY or Chicago, but considering the size and fast growth in LV, there should be a lot of apartments and nice places to live. The cost of living is still very good, and we all know about the weather.
I think the areas farthest from the "Strip" and nearer to the Red Rock Canyon would be the best to look.
Good luck!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:59 AM
g

that is supposed to be REAL neighborhoods!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:15 AM
natalie

Most people choose to live in Summerlin (NW part of town)or Green Valley (E part of town) where the most growth is. As you probably already know many people relocate here from New York. I live in Summerlin and really like it. However others that live in GV swear by it too. I don't like it because all the smog from the city hovers there. The housing market has really gone up the last 10 years. A house in this area will start at around $140k and to rent in a nice neighborhood will be around $700/mo. You can find lower housing in the far NW (outside of Summerlin). If you have any specific questions, let me know, I moved here from PA 10 years ago and really enjoy it.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:18 AM
carla

Natalie, if you don't mind me asking what kind of work do you do? I also live in Pa. I am glad you moved out of here and that you like it in LV-thanks.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:34 AM
natalie

Carla, when I was much younger I first worked at the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace, now I am a homemaker and my husband is in the Medical industry. At first I really missed all the trees and greenery. But now I've gotten used to it and lots of nice vacation spots are only a 45 min flight away like San Diego, Lax and Phoenix = )

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:05 AM
aa

Troll alert!! Bing, bing! Yeah I was thinking about moving to Las Vegas with no job, etc. What neighborhood should I go to? Yeah right.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Bostonian1

AA: How is that a troll alert?? Its funny. I moved to Nevada (Las Vegas) several years ago without a job (believe it or not)but had money saved and moved by myself from the east coast to the west coast. To everyone who wishes to move to Vegas- Definitely think about it and RESEARCH it before you go. Alot of employers WILL NOT hire someone who lives 2500 miles away UNTIL they physically move to Vegas..RNs',Pharmacists,Engineers maybe.. but There are a lot of transients in the area, so I am sure they are leary of anyone who claims they'll be moving, then don't. I lived in Summerlin also. I loved it there. Do not live near the strip! It is awful! Bad neighborhoods, etc...I lived there about 3 years, but the town just wasn't for me. I believe you either "love it" or "hate it". Many people move there to retire...and many live there a short period of time..I had some bad things happen while I had lived there..I couldn't take much more of the heat..It was quite a different town.. But I did meet some nice friends and have moved back east since then...but Summerlin and Green Valley (henderson area) are awesome.!! It is beautiful there..There are some beautiful condos and apts. Actually, housing is really reasonable and affordable too.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Bostonian1

P.S. Good luck to you all if you do end up moving to Vegas!! Lots of good shopping and food, I must say!

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 07:44 AM
AmyL

Anyone else on Vegas tips? I appreciate all of your advice! Keep it coming!