Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need a destination (open to Europe, cruises, etc) for family of 7 for one week in April.

Search

Need a destination (open to Europe, cruises, etc) for family of 7 for one week in April.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:54 AM
jackie

For his 30th birthday, in April, my brother wants to go on a family vacation. Since our family now is 7 people (2 parents, 3 adult kids(youngest is 30) , 1 husband and 1 girlfriend) we have more people to consider with regard to travel styles.

We have tossed around Italy, but I am not sure if my father will be thrilled with the hectic pace.

Another idea is a cruise, but since we have been to the Caribbean several times, we would rather go on a cruise that stopped in unusual ports.

I think staying on one island may get boring for us, since we are New Yorkers and love to explore.

We have been to Cancun years ago, so we wouldn't want to do that again.

Any ideas? I think we would like a combination of relaxing, warm weather (although Europe in April would be ok)

Thanks

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Howard

The key question: How much do you want to spend?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:10 AM
jackie

We've always stayed at upscale places.... El Conquistador, Four Seasons, (doesn't have to be that fancy)..... don't know if that helps...

thanks

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 07:02 AM
orgy7

OK you guys are loaded so your options are greater.. here are my suggestions

for exitment
1 ANYWHERE YOU WANT
2 bangkok, with trip too hua hin (upscale beach resort) will be hot!!!!
3 Hong kong
4 Hawaii
5 Australia

europe is still kind of chilly.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 07:27 AM
jackie

No, we are not loaded. Since we haven't been away as a family for a while, I would like to stay somewhere nice -- not budget quality, but not break the bank. Each person is going to pay for his/her own way.

We only have one week -10 days for travel and don't want to spend the majority of that time on a plane.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Emily

You could spend a week in San Diego. It still won't be swimming weather though. (our ocean is freezing!) Stay on Coronado, quick ride to downtown for dining, balboa park (which could take 2 days, zoo & museums) La Jolla for a walk along the cliffs, shopping and dinner or Del Mar. Old Town isn't far from Coronado either. Lots to explore just on Coronado.

Happy planning!

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 08:04 AM
xxx

Jackie, when I read your post I keep hearing "Europe". Depends on how adventurous you all want to be. If Italy is an option why not ask Dad if he is interested? Ask him how he feels about the pace. It could be hetic, or not to hetic. Maybe he would be thrilled with the idea. Perhaps France, or London, or the French Riviera. Maybe Spain. Many options besides where you have all ready visited.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 08:23 AM
xxx

How about one of the upscale cruises? Silverseas, Peter Dielman, or Radisson? I know the Radisson Gaugaun (spelling, I know) cruises Bora Bora and the South Pacific.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Melissa

I think you should go to Italy. You do not have to have a "fast paced" vacation. Stay in a Tuscan or Umbrian farmhouse for a couple of nights and then go to Florence or Venice. Italy is just so beautiful. Nothing can truly compare with a destincation with as much to offer as Italy does. Also if you want somewhere warmer, look at the Amalfi coast of Italy. Much more temperate at the time of year you are going.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:56 PM
natalie

London, london, london. You'll never run out of things to do at your own pace.. And for a side trip you could visit Wales or the Cotswolds. There are many ways to get great discounts at 4 & 5 star hotels, if you're interrested LMK & i'll post the London hotel broker I've been using the past 8 yrs.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 01:59 PM
John

For domestic travel, you might consider Charleston, which in April is drop-dead gorgeous, great food, excursions; or how about the Four Corners area - Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, possibly over to the Grand Canyon or the Utah parks (Bryce etc.)?

In Europe, with only a week I'd limit myself to areas close (in time terms - remember high speed trains are plentiful) to major gateways like London or Paris. Provence might be good, also Tuscany or Andalucia in Spain; however, April can be rainy in many areas inland from the the Mediterranean. With limited time I'd be concerned with logistics being complicated for a big group.

Your "one island" concerns might not apply to the Big Island of Hawaii - there's so much to see and do that a week will fly by. Rent a nice big condo or house for your group. Of course, from NY the time to get to Hawaii is a lot longer than to Europe.

April is an awkward time for cruising anywhere except the Caribbean - many ships are busy repositioning themselves - what about 8 or 9 days going Transatlantic? Some good bargains to be had.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Wonderful!

What about a Mediterranean Cruise, with stops in Italy and south of France? I've also heard that Santa Fe is wonderful...spa, shopping, fine dining, Native American history, hot air ballooning...Wish I could come along!

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:24 PM
jackie

No to Hawaii, (I went there for my honeymoon).

Mom, sister and I went to Santa Fe a few years ago

I never thought about cruising the Mediterranean - -would we be too young for these cruises?

Thanks for the ideas - -keep them coming- - I am now looking at perhaps a cruise to the Mexican Rivera? What do you think?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:20 PM
orgy7

=get a cruse up the Rhine river in Germany..

-cruise down the Nile river from Cairo too Asawan Egypt

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:29 AM
wonderful

With the youngest being 30,you'd certainly be among the "younger" crowd, but that's simply because it's too expensive for most younger people. You do what you want at port, and you have your own "crowd" at sea! If you want a younger atmosphere, you could do a Greek Island cruise, instead of the Monte Carlo/Portofino thing. I also like the Rhine River thing, but the weather won't be cooperative in April. If stateside, I like John's suggestion of Charleston.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:31 AM
wonderful

PS. Why do the Mexican Riveria if you can do the real thing?!

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 06:14 AM
John

The problem with a Med. cruise is the timing. In April none of the "major" cruise lines have started their summer schedules; they are busy "repositioning" their ships to the Med from the Caribbean or Pacific. Costa Cruise Lines, an Italian firm with okay, not great reviews, operates throughout April in the Med, so you might look at www.cruisecritic.com for reviews and comments. You probably wouldn't be the youngest on board, but at that time of year an older crowd wouldn't be a surprise. A couple of the high-end firms (Seaborne, Radisson) may also have late April itineraries.

How about the Yucatan? Base in Merida, visit the Mayan cities, beach break at Cozumel, that sort of thing?

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 08:52 AM
helen

Another vote for Charleston. There are some upscale places to stay, good restaurants and shopping, plenty to do for everyone's taste (both in town and in the surrounding areas), and, as noted, the weather will be just wonderful in April.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 10:16 AM
ingrid

Costa Rica! We went in April and had a great time.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 04:01 PM
jackie

Is there a cruise to Costa Rica, Belize.... in April?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -