I want to visit Portland, OR but ...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear Portland, OR is gorgeous and I really want to visit ... but I am finding it so difficult to find information on activities. I always plan my vacations online and always find so much info, I don't understand why this is so hard!

I know about the Japanese Garden, art museum, zoo, Saturday Market (and Wednesday ) ... what else?

I love nature, but I am semi disabled (I can't make a day out of kayaking etc.) I do love being on the water - any boat trips? Any tours like Grayline?

I will be traveling solo - without a car. Not sure when I will be going. Anytime between late May - Sept.

Any info will be appreciated.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you checked the Trip Advisor's Portland forum (not the hotel and restaurant reviews section, rather it's a forum like here on Fodor's)?

Portland is a beautiful city, I hope you can figure out a plan. I'm here in Seattle but have not spent enough time there to be of any specific help, sorry.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 09:56 AM

There are hundreds of previous posts on this forum on Portland. Poster Scarlett fell in love with the city around 2006 and moved there for a while. Her trip report was awesome. PM and other regular posters have also been if you look for trip reports. Here's a link to the Fodor's destination guide. http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...egon/portland/

For disability info, I found this online http://www.travelportland.com/visito..._services.html
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Hi, right by the Japanese Gardens, I would also check out the Rose Garden in Portland, lovely flowers there! ***kim***
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 02:42 PM

There are several of us posters that live in the Portland area. Beachbum, myself, merseyheart, balitrav, andrew...to name a few.

Anyway, for boat tours look at the Sternwheeler. There are others as well, but that is one that I have been on. The www.pova.com website might have more ideas for activities for you as well.

Can you walk much?

A few other places of interest are OMSI, the Chinese Garden, the farmers market at PSU on Saturdays, and Pittock Mansion.

The gorge is a must see, but you will need to either rent a car or take a tour. It is worth it though!

Be glad you are not here right now...106 is too dang hot
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM

From the airport, take MAX -and plan to stay in a hotel close to a MAX stop. The center of the city and Lloyd center is a free zone, and yes, it is free

Can you make the steep walkway down to the pier and back up? Very steep! But try, it's worth it to take a river cruise.

Lloyd center - if you want to shop, spend some time on a bench watching children taking figure skating lessons.

Saturday market I believe is now on Sundays too, but double-check. It's an funky place. Do you live somewhere in the Bay Area? It's like Haight-Ashbury with Oregonian accent

Do not miss Chinese gardens! Such an interesting place! There are benches to sit, and a food place. We didn't eat there, so can't talk about quality.

Are you afraid of heights? There is a funicular going up to some medical center at the end of streetcar line (not MAX) and the view from the top is amazing.

MAX is free within the center zone. When you switch to streetcar you pay inside of that shaky moving car. To go up the funicular buy a ticket first. To go back is "free".

Let me try to find my report. We just around a lot, found the statue of Portlandia, took photos with the weather man.

Is there a forestry museum? One year, for some reason, they had a chocolate exhibit there - so check what they have now.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Yes, the Saturday market is also on Sundays...has been for as long as I can remember. But the farmers market is only on Saturdays. Two totally different markets, but they do confuse people sometimes.

The tram is what goes from the lower part of OHSU up to the main hospital. I personally would not take it, or suggest it. It was built as a way for hospital staff, patients, and visitors to travel between the two areas. I can tell you from a personal friend who spent several weeks there this spring, that her family was not thrilled to share the tram with people who were there to check out the view. I have heard similar comments from employees, but after our friends experience it just reinforced to me what it was meant for. When it was built it went way over budget, so the city suggested making tourist revenue off it. Just an FYI.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...nas-report.cfm

How old are you? First time in Portland I was with Elderhostel, it was wonderful. I think EH have a rule, you can sign up somebody at home (mother) who's 55 already, after that legally join their program by yourself. Worked for me

Grayline has only one shopping "tour" listed on their website

Maybe you will like river round-trips from Portland:

http://www.cruisewest.com/columbia-river-cruises
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM

"I hear Portland, OR is gorgeous and I really want to visit ... but I am finding it so difficult to find information on activities.... and.. don't understand why this is so hard!"

This doesn't surprise me. Except for Powell's Books, Portland isn't really very unique. Beautiful, but not unique. The reason most people visit here is for what's close by: Oregon coast, Columbia River Gorge, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood..... All are within a couple hours drive. So, if you're planning more than a weekend visit, I suggest you think about renting a car.