I'LL NEVER USE PAYLESS CAR RENTAL AGAIN

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had two miserable experiences with Payless "Crap" Rental.
The first one in Orlando, I've made the reservation thru their web site for a full size two months in advance. Once I've arrived at the counter they told me they were sold out and the only thing they could offer me was a compact, I didn't have any other choice but to take it. I'm 6'3 tall and weight 260 lbs I could barely fit into that car. I was upset my entire trip.

Not learning from my first mistake I've made another reservation with them for a full size for a week in Kansas City because they had the best rates and thinking that the problem I had in Orlando was an isolated one. They actually had the car this time, I drove it off their parking lot and it seemed fine. Then on the third day I was on I-70 and all of the sudden the engine died. I called them and they told me to wait for the tow truck to pick me up and take me to their location to get another vehicle. After six hours they still wouldn't show up so I took a cab back to my hotel. Not wanting to deal with them anymore, I told them to cancel the remaining days on the reservation and they said that would not be a problem.
Once at home, I've received my credit car bill not only they charged me for the entire week but also the cost to fix their car and the towing charges. I immediately called them to get an explanation and they said that was a mistake on their side and they were going to refund all of the money except for the days I used the car. Three months have past and still haven't received anything.
Now I'm going to call my credit card to dispute the charges.

I'm sharing my bad experiences with Payless Car Rental so you don't have to go thru the same nightmare.
Hope this helps.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:46 PM

That first situation can happen with any of the companies, and happened to me so many times with Budget that I won't go near them anymore. They have the nerve to ask for your credit card number right when you book, and say "if you don't show up we may charge you anyway". Then when you DO show up, they don't have any cars and they say "just because you have a reservation it does not guarantee you a car - read our terms." Bye Bye Budget!

Now your second situation....that's what I call a NIGHTMARE!!!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:27 AM

You should be very careful about waiting to contest the charge. Under the Federal Truth-in-Lending Act you have only 60 days (not 3 months) after the statement with the "error" is sent to contest it-in writing (not by phone). After that, your credit card issuer may not help, leaving you to sue in a court in a distant place to obtain relief. Good luck.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:35 AM
GoTravel

Call the headquarters immediately. Find out who you need to speak with to get results. Talk to that person and start a letter writing camppaign. Courtesy Copy the President/CEO with every letter you write and they should include President/CEO, local papers for Orlando/Kansas City/headquarters, BBB, and state Attorney General. Send these letters registered mail.

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:42 AM

My previous job required a lot of travel - 50/60 trips per year - and I have had numerous problems with car rentals and hotels . Based on my exprience resolving them my suggestion about any issues like this is to contest any incorrect charge the day you recieve the bill. Do not wait to see what the company will do to fix the problem. Just contest the charge. Then call the company, explain the problem and if they do not cooperate tell them you have already contested the charge. I have found in that situation they usually do not bother to pursue it because they know you are serious and understand your rights. (A few did pursue the matter with the credit card company - which will send you updates on the progress - but none were ever succesful.)