Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amount of money available for "locking" on credit card for car rentals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading about the poor people who had the accident in Spain, and I have a question.

Does anyone know the dollar amount that needs to be available on a credit card in order to rent a car? We're leaving soon for Brittany and I don't want to get there and find that they won't rent because we're too close to the limit on the card. Is it $3000? $5000?

We're renting through AutoEurope and picking up in Rennes. I imagine it's Europcar, but I'm not sure.Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Depends on which company provides the car. It is just a "pre-authorization" anyway and nothing is debited. When I get a car with my AutoEurope voucher in Paris, Europcar takes a pre-auth for 600€, National takes 500€ and Budget takes 1€. It makes no difference anyway, because once you have signed the contract, they can debit the full deductible if something happens unless you have a total CDW.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:42 AM

The amount depends on which company you hire the car through. When I booked earlier this year, one company in Britain wanted GBP500 frozen, but another allowed GBP250. I was advised by the travel agent (who had recently hired a car overseas herself) that they actually freeze the amount against your credit card so that you can not use it. She also warned me that the hire companies can take several days (or more) to unfreeze these funds, so make sure you have enough other funds available for your holiday spending.

When trying to book a car for France I found Europcar to have a higher amount frozen than some other companies I was looking at(about 900 euro?).

I would do some research on it before you go as it could cause you a problem if your budget is tight.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:52 AM
cherylforeurope

If you're that close to your limit, do you have another card to use in the event of any emergency?

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input. I'm not all that close to the limit (especially if it's only $1000-$2000), but if necessary I'd pay it down more so I'd have the available funds for other things. I am bringing another card too, but to get the CDW I need to continue with the same one.

I'll try calling the company and see what they say. Thanks to you all!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Iwan2go:

When you call the CC folks you might want to ask if their CDW is primary or secondary to your own auto policy or do you already know that information?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM

If you have an AMEX card, it won't have any problem. There's no limit!

I had this with my visa once and that was the last time using this for car rentals-AMEX for all of the time now.

Blackduff
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

OK, I called AutoEurope and they talked to the Europcar rep (who is actualy in their offices right now). EuropCar blocks the deductible, which is $1025 USD, plus a gas and key deposit (which we figured is about $100? I'm guessing here).

I was impressed that AutoEurope actually had the rep in the office at this time. She said that they get reps all the time, from Italy, France, wherever, who are there to answer questions and help them with customer service.

Intrepid1, I don't think my State Farm covers me overseas, so I believe that the CC would be the primary.

Thanks again for your help! Very excited to be going to France again!