I-81 through Virginia

Search

I-81 through Virginia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I-81 through Virginia

An older couple I know will be traveling I-81 through Virginia at the end of February. They are concerned about mountainous driving and snowy conditions. How bad can I-81 get?

I have only driven parts of I-81 and told them I'd rather do that than driving over the mountain on I-64. I also warned them about the trucks. This couple has lived in Massachusetts and Chicago so it's not the snow they are concerned about, just the elevation.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have driven I-81 many times from / to Tennessee - NYC. It is interstate driving. Pretty drive. Weather obviously can play a factor but no more so than any other roads. Not mountainous IMO. Grading on any uphill / downhill portions is moderate and well within easy handling.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM

Birdie,
You are correct about not using 64 over the mountain. I am in Woodstock and it takes me the same amount of time to go to Richmond using 81 and 64 as it does using 81, 66, rte 17 through Warrenton to 95 south.

The only serious elevation concerns to me would be the Roanoke- Blacksburg stretch, but I'm sure that area would get extra treatment if there were snowy conditions.
Up at in our area, traffic always moves good.

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. I will pass the info on.

Ronkala - JMU basketball has been doing a little better this year. And, of course, George Mason always does well. My W&M boys have been playing abysmally.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM

You don't say if they are driving the length of I-81 but if they are driving on the western end of 81 then yes, conditions can sometimes be treacherous through the mountains. I grew up in that area and my family is still there so I am quite familiar with the roads.

The other problem with I-81 is that most of it is just 2 lanes in each direction and it has very heavy truck traffic. When the trucks pass each other through the rolling hills or mountains their speed inevitably drops quite a bit and so you have to lower your speed. Oftentimes interstate speeds can drop to 40 or 45 miles an hour behind a passing truck. It does get tiresome after awhile.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM

Sharona I was just about to mention the trucks! That's the only thing that bothers me about I-81. The trucks. Lots and lots of trucks. Lots of 'em......trucks. Be super careful.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

I always notice the amount of truck traffic when I'm on that road. I did mention it to them but that didn't seem to worry them.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM

True about the truck traffic, but they are eventually passable and left behind.

Birdie,
We are long time George Mason fans, back to when Rick Barnes was coaching. The team he left behind went to the NCAA the next year and were terrible for the next eight until Jim Laranaga came along. We gave up our season tickets the year after moving here from Faifax. It was too much driving at night to attend the home games.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

ronkala - I knew you were a long-time George Mason fan. I have tried hard to forgive you for that! Since JMU was playing a little better this year I thought you might be able to get your CAA fix a little closer to home. I have to sit through a W&M vs Northeastern game tonight. It is going to be a disaster. sigh
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM

If the traffic on I-81 gets to much for them they could always get off 81 and drive some of old scenic US-11 and thru some of the charming little towns. A good portion of that route still exists. A good bit of it is four lane and traffic is near non existent.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM

Birdie,
I am certainly pulling for W&M tonight. JMU is the "enemy" but I do hope they have a good season, except for the game on Saturday.
We thought of going to the game Saturday but DW had a small growth removed from her thigh today, so we'll watch it on CSN.

Getting back to the older couple, as long as they watch the weather and road conditions, and go to a hotel if things get messy, they will be ok.

Years ago (53) I thought nothing of leaving LI after work at six on a Saturday evening and driving down to visit dear friends in Chester and go back Sunday evening about the same time. Now that I'm in your friends age category it takes a bit more to move me.