Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach vs. Marriott Laguna Cliffs (Dana Point)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone out there have an opinion on new Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach versus the Marriott Laguna Cliffs (in Dana Point)? We are traveling in two weeks, with grandparents (active) and kid (almost five and 1.5 years) in tow. We've got reservations at both but we're not really sure. I saw some mixed reviews about the Hyatt on tripadvisor.com, but that was mostly because of "new hotel opening" snafus, and the staff says they've been largely worked out. The Marriott is closer to Laguna, but its own beach is the dirty Doheny State. The Hyatt is more remote from everything but the pier, and during our stay, the U.S. Open of Surfing is going to descend on Huntington Beach/Pier ... not sure whether that's really a good thing for visitors. Anyone stay there... knowledge of rooms, kids camps, etc? Please reply asap. thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:43 PM

The Laguna Cliffs Marriott is in a nice spot and is very attractive from the outside. The rooms are nice,nothing special. In my traveling, I've usually been happier staying at newer hotels, at least roomwise. But the 2 are in very different locations...Dana Point would be quieter!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:17 PM

We had no major complaints about the Hyatt during our stay there in April, amd I had seen some negatives on tripadvisor but that valentines guy was just an idiot. I would be a bit concerned about being there during the Surfing Championships with little kids. That being said, you don't have to go to the Pier for any real reason; the beach in front of the Hyatt is huge, and Newport Beach is essentially 2 miles south of the Hyatt so you have access to actvities and restaurants down there. You are also close to great shopping in Newport. Camp Hyatt was very well run and the spa was terrific. The food at the Hyatt's resturants was excellent - even considering they served Easter brunch to 1800 guests. I just wouldn't take my little kids down into the throngs of teenagers at the Pier.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Edye -- Are the surfers allowed to use the part of Huntington State Beach that abutts the hotel? In other words, do I have to worry about surfers crashing into my family while we're in front of the hotel? Also, since the surfing competition will be there the entire length of our stay, is it a "deal killer," because there isn't anything else to do in Huntington Beach except the pier? (Obviously, I haven't been there before.) Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:24 AM

We saw surfers using the beach in front of the hotel. Older surfers tended to surf in front of the hotel instead of the younger surfers. The Hyatt is about 1 mile or so south of the pier and main surfing area. That's about the extent of my knowledge! I would check with the concierge manager at the Hyatt as to what they expect the scene to be during this competition. Huntington Beach is famous for its quality beach and the surf shops and little restaurants along Main St. This stretch of Main St is not very big and was plenty crowded over Easter weekend. So IMO, I would probably avoid this area during the competition with my young family. The Hyatt itself is great though and I am sure they will keep any rowdy surfers as far off the premises as possible. Don't rule out the proximity to Newport, which is lovely and close by. If you choose to go to HB during the competition, once you are there, head south towards Nepwort instead of north towards the HB town. I check this site on East coast time, FYI.